Product Announcement from A.W. Chesterton Company
The 442's unique, patented adjustable gland, with captured fasteners and automatic centering deliver unsurpassed ease of use to improve plant efficiencies. Chesterton's 442 Split Mechanical Seal offers a reliable sealing solution while reducing maintenance costs:
- Reduces install time
- Eliminates sleeve wear
- Avoids coupling realignment
- Increases equipment availability
Other 442 Split Seal innovations include:
- Integral Flush Ports – Dual flush ports, located 180 degrees apart and combined with the adjustable gland, give maximum flexibility when venting or flushing.
- Balanced Seal Design – Hydraulically-balanced, computer-modeled seal face design generates less heat for more reliable sealing
- Patented Automatic Centering – Centering buttons align the rotating element inside the seal gland. Automatic centering delivers simplified installation.
- Non-Clogging Springs – Non-clogging finger springs, positioned out of the sealed fluid, avoid clogging while allowing substantial axial shaft movement.
- Compact Gland – The 442 low-profile gland fits more equipment without the need for modification or special adaptation.
- Ball & Socket O-rings – The 442's captive o-ring design holds the o-rings in place, without adhesives, to simplify installation and ensure positive sealing.
Typical Applications Include:
- Cooling tower pumps
- Raw water pumps
- Side-entry mixers
- Processing tanks
- Condensate pumps
- Process pumps
- Top and bottom entry mixers
- Vacuum pumps
- Boiler feed pumps
- Stern tubes
- Water turbines