Product Announcement from Alstom
ALSTOM has applied its years of coal pulverization experience with state-of-the-art computational flow modeling (CFM) technology to develop its FLOW-PRO™ Vane Wheel so as to bring improved pulverizer performance to customers.
ALSTOM originally pioneered vane wheel technology more than 25 years ago to reduce coal setting and to increase wear life and enhance particle distribution to the classifier.
The FLOW-PRO Vane Wheel improves upon previous vane wheel technology while retaining the time proven flow patterns through the pulverizer but does so with reduced wear and greater simplicity.
This is achieved by lowering the deflector liners of the classic vane wheel from the zone where the coal has been entrained by the airflow to the elevation where the air meets the coal.
The lower deflector liners catch the primary airflow while it is still clean and redirects it inward over the bowl rim where it entrains the coal. The coal is rolled immediately back over the bowl and decelerated to allow the large particles to drop back to the grinding table for further pulverization.
The remaining smaller coal particles are directed up through the separator body at relatively low velocity for reduced wear, enhanced drying, and improved classifier efficiency.
The FLOW-PRO Vane Wheel incorporates a resized deflector along with high-grade liner materials for the deflector, vanes and wing tips. The CFM and the force and velocity analysis illustrate that the FLOW-PRO Vane Wheel provides more uniform flow velocities that results in substantially reduced localized wear.
ALSTOM can customize vane segments to suit customer's needs for both complete FLOW-PRO Vane Wheels and replacement parts for existing vane wheel assemblies.
Options for further enhanced wear resistance above what the design itself provides include:
- AR plate inner segment shroud
- Replacement vane liners made from Triten™ plate
- Wear-resistant weld overlay
Since ALSTOM has designed and manufactured the pulverizers for which this upgrade is applicable, parts will fit and your pulverizer will operate properly upon installation of the FLOW-PRO Vane Wheel.
- Deflector liners located in the clear air region for reduced wear
- 360 degree flow path for even flow distribution to the classifier
- The flow control gap (between the rotating and stationary components) are located out of the erosion zone
- Wingtips retained for efficient air velocity and spillage control
- Small size and steep angle of deflector liners virtually eliminate any coal hide out areas
- A selection of wear materials and vane wheel attachment methods are available
- Design promotes lower velocities for reduced downstream wear
- Coal flow patterns kept off the mill body thereby virtually eliminating body wear
- Increased pulverizer availability
- Reduced maintenance costs
Increasing Your Competitive Edge
The FLOW-PRO Vane Wheel is another example of the ALSTOM commitment to provide products and services to improve performance and reduce maintenance, with the goal of increasing your competitive edge.
Consider installing the FLOW-PRO Vane Wheel in addition to other "above bowl" products ALSTOM offers designed to achieve superior wear resistance and pulverizer performance.