Product Announcement from American National Standards Institute, Inc. (ANSI)
The purpose of becoming an ANSI Accredited V/VB is to demonstrate conformance with ISO 14065:2007, Greenhouse gases - Requirements for greenhouse gas validation and verification bodies for use in accreditation or other forms of recognition.
The purpose of GHG validation or verification accreditation is to give confidence to parties that rely upon a GHG assertion or claim (for example, regulators or investors) that the V/VBs providing the declarations are competent to do so, and have systems in place to manage impartiality and to provide the required level of assurance on a consistent basis.
ISO 14065 provides requirements for bodies that undertake GHG validation or verification using ISO 14064 or other relevant standards or specifications. The objectives of the ISO 14064 and ISO 14065 standards are to:
- develop flexible, regime-neutral tools for use in voluntary or regulatory GHG schemes;
- promote and harmonize best practice;
- support the environmental integrity of GHG assertions;
- assist organizations to manage GHG-related opportunities and risks, and
- support the development of GHG programs and markets.
Currently ANSI provides accreditation to V/VBs that seek to provide verification for reporters and projects for the following GHG programs:
- American Carbon Registry
- Chicago Climate Exchange
- Climate Action Reserve
- Pacific Carbon Trust
- The Climate Registry
- Verified Carbon Standard