Product Announcement from Buckeye Rubber & Packing Co.
Lip Seals are designed to close off passageways and close the door of opportunity for fluids to escape. They are predominately elastomeric materials and the most common ones used are Polyurethane and Nitrile, for their overall toughness and resistance to hydrocarbon based hydraulic oils. While there are many different lip seal designs, the U-cup is the most commonly used profile and is uni-directional. It's configuration is the only geometric shape, that when combined with an elastomeric material, can automatically compensate for pressure changes.
In general, the style and elastomeric makeup of a lip seal should be chosen based on its ability to:
- Prevent leakage
- Be easily installed and removed
- Be capable of excluding the entry of foreign material
- Have a long life while requiring minimum maintenance
- Be compatible with the fluids, operating temperatures and pressure of the application
- Not contaminate the fluid by degrading
- Satisfy these requirements as economically as possible