Discover Unidrive M
Product Announcement from Emerson Industrial Automation – Drives & Motors
Our Discover Unidrive M APP is the fastest way to learn about the Unidrive M family of Manufacturing Automation drives from Control Techniques. Determine which models in the family best match your application, compare feature sets and browse product benefits and options. The Disciver Unidrive M APP is avaialble in Andriod, iOS and web based versions.
Customer choice taken to new heights
- Precise functionality to suit your needs – select from seven levels to optimize your time, design simplicity and investment
- Ultimate drive family for new customers – widest functionality, power choice and minimized dimensions for Manufacturing Automation applications Intelligent Machine Architecture (IMA) – programmable control devices linked together through open standard Ethernet
- IMA enables the selection and easy integration of the world’s best products into your machine design
- Accelerated machine development and innovation through integrated industry standard CODESYS (IEC 61131-3) for motion and PLC programming World leading drive performance
- Increased throughput – exceptional motor control using standard induction, permanent magnet, servo and linear motors in open or closed loop configuration for total design flexibility
- Increased productivity through better machine control – onboard real-time Ethernet with hardware based Precision Time Protocol (IEEE 1588 V2) provides fast and fl exible communications and synchronization
- Fast installation and start-up – intuitive keypads, software tools and easy cable management minimizes work
- Simple upgrade – fi ts existing mountings and cable connections, with trouble-free parameter transfer for existing Control Techniques’ Unidrive SP and Commander SK users
Each Unidrive M model offers an incremental level of functionality, designed to solve more advanced application needs. The family is designed to provide exactly the right drive feature-set for each Manufacturing application, sharing a common software foundation and range of common click-in optional modules.
Heavy Duty power range:
- Panel mount: 0.25 to 250 kW (0.33 to 400 hp)
- Modular range: Ratings up to 1.2 MW (1,600hp)
- 100 V (100 V - 120 V ± 10%)
- 200 V (200 V - 240 V ± 10%)
- 400 V (380 V - 480 V ± 10%)
- 575 V (500 V - 575 V ± 10%)
- 690 V (500 V - 690 V ± 10%)
Performance control for every motor
Control Techniques’ unique motor control algorithms combined with the latest microprocessor technology ensure that Unidrive M drives offer the highest stability and bandwidth for all industrial motor types. This enables you to maximize machine throughput in every application and with every motor; from standard AC induction motors to high dynamic linear motors and from energy saving permanent magnet motors to high performance servo motors.Motor control options available include:
Intelligent Machine Architecture - open automation systems
Unidrive M maximizes machine throughput. This is achieved through a synchronized high performance network of intelligent control devices, sensors and actuators, linked together through open standard Ethernet.
Open Ethernet networking
The Unidrive M family uses standard Ethernet for high performance automation and motion control. This network enables communications between drives, I/O, PCs and other automation components in a system; offering significant benefits:
- Widest possible choice of standard Ethernet system hardware components
- Maximum flexibility and easy connections
- High speed dual-port Ethernet switch is integrated as standard onboard Unidrive M700 and M800 models
- IEEE 1588 open standard is used for synchronization of axes in precision motion and automation applications
- Multiple Ethernet protocols can be present on a single network. Protocols include: Control Techniques Machine Control Protocol Suite, Ethernet/IP, PROFINET RT, Modbus TCP/IP and UDP, E-mail transmission and web pages
- Leverage the full choice of standard Ethernet network analysis software for advanced diagnostics
- Standard Ethernet allows you immediate access to new technology developments from the IT industry, future proofing your investment
- Users are able to add additional customized Ethernet protocols to integrate with non-standard user interfaces
IEC 61131-3 motion and automation programming
IEC 61131-3 is the international standard that specifies five programming languages optimized for use in automation equipment. Over recent years IEC 61131-3 has become widely used and is supported by the majority of automation vendors providing access to an enormous talent pool of engineers. The system is configured within the industry leading CoDeSys software programming environment.
Using onboard functions and click-in System Integration (SI) option modules, Unidrive M offers connectivity to all common fieldbus communications such as PROFIBUS, DeviceNet, CANopen and EtherCAT. Our SI modules are certified by third parties to ensure full compliance with standards and trouble-free configuration and operation.
Machine safety features enhance machine throughput while protecting people and assets, helping to meet SIL3 (Safety Integrity Level 3). Different Unidrive M models offer alternative levels of integrated safety functions to suit various manufacturing needs, reducing external components and machine costs.
- Single Safe Torque Off (STO) inputs provide an easy entry level for safety integration
- Dual Safe Torque Off (STO) inputs provide enhanced safety functionality
- Advanced safety* to meet the IEC 61800-5-2 functional safety standard, covering numerous functions including STO, Safe Stop 1 and 2, Safe Limited Speed, Safe Limited Position
* Future release
Powerful and easy field service and upgrade
The Unidrive M family is designed to extend the field service life of previous generations of products. It also provides the easiest possible upgrade for OEM machine designs that currently use Control Techniques’ Commander SK and Unidrive SP drives.
- Unidrive M200 and M400 provide a direct upgrade path from Commander SK
- As a variant of the Unidrive M700, M701 provides a direct upgrade path from Unidrive SP
- All variants of Unidrive M700 are able to take a Smartcard (parameter copying device) from Unidrive SP and import drive settings
- Unidrive M700 and M701 have the same control connector terminal layout as Unidrive SP
- An SM-Applications compatible option module is available for the Unidrive M700 range for SyPTPro programs
- Unidrive M enables easy retrofit as existing fixing points for Unidrive SP or Commander SK installations can be used with conversion plates available where required
Unidrive M is designed to enhance the energy efficiency of manufacturing machinery:
- Low losses, up to 98% efficient
- Low power standby mode. In some applications, drives can sit idle for significant periods; Unidrive M’s reduced standby power saves energy
- Easy common DC bus configuration enables braking energy to be recycled within the drive system, reducing energy usage and eliminating external supply components
- Unidrive M supports sensorless (open loop) control of compact high efficiency permanent magnet motors
Intelligent Machine Architecture
Open technology, exceptional performance
Control Techniques Intelligent Machine Architecture is an open approach to automation, designed to maximize machine throughput. This is achieved through a synchronized high performance network of intelligent control devices, sensors and actuators, linked together through open and globally available, industry standard Ethernet. Open standards provide significant benefits to machine builders and OEMs:
- Choice to select the ‘best-in-class’for every machine component
- Familiarity with standards accelerates machine development and innovation
- Broad acceptance of open standards makes it easier to recruit skilled engineering staff with the required expertise
How is Intelligent Machine Architecture different?
- Standard networking hardware -no limits on integration possibilities
- Performance without effort -ease of use is prioritized with high level software tools that are proven to speed up the machine development and maximize machine performance
- Increased network efficiency -intelligence is networked and not centralized, removing traffic bottlenecks
- Inclusive networking - support for PROFINET, EtherNet/IP and Modbus TCP/IP allows interaction with the widest range of automation equipment from a global pool of automation providers
- Only leading technologies -Intelligent Machine Architecture is based on feedback from customers and adopts only the leading open standards throughout
IEC 61131-3 motion and automation programming
Unidrive M offers the choice to integrate machine control functionality within the drive:
- Simple onboard CODESYS based PLC
- Advanced 1.5 axis Motion Controller, key features include:
- 250 μs cycle time
- Motion profile generator
- Electronic gearbox
- Interpolated CAM
- Homing function
- High speed position freeze
- High performance MCi200 and MCi210 Machine Control modules for extra control performance
Machine Control Studio -Powered by CODESYS
Control Techniques Machine Control Studio provides a flexible and intuitive environment for programming Unidrive M’s new automation and motion control features. The new software offers programming for:
- Unidrive M400, M600 and M700’s onboard PLC
- Unidrive M800 and M810 with integrated machine control
- High performance MCi200 and MCi210 Machine Control modules
- Ethernet network data configurations
Machine Control Studio is powered by CODESYS, the leading open software for programmable machine control. The programming environment is fully IEC 61131-3 compliant, meaning that it is familiar and therefore fast and easy to use for control engineers around the world.
The following IEC 61131-3 programming languages are supported:
- Structured Text (ST)
- Function Block Diagram (FBD)
- Structured Function Chart (SFC)
- Ladder Diagram (LD)
- Instruction List (IL)
- Continuous Function Chart (CFC)
Intuitive IntelliSense functionality helps to write consistent and robust programming, speeding up software development. Programmers have access to a vibrant open-source community for function blocks. Control Techniques also provides support for customers’ own function block libraries, with on-line monitoring of program variables with user defined watch windows and help for on-line change of program, in line with current PLC practice.
Open, Efficient, Synchronized Ethernet
Control Techniques Intelligent Machine Architecture uses standard Ethernet to connect the machine controller parts and other devices such as PCs, I/O and HMIs together. Ethernet provides machine builders and manufacturers with real benefits:
- Maximize machine productivity through high performance deterministic Ethernet, suitable for complete Machine Automation and demanding synchronized motion functions
- Access future developments in IT based industries where billions of nodes are installed, future proofing your investments
- Access to a massive choice of network monitoring and diagnostics tools
Through advances in Ethernet technology, standard Ethernet hardware now delivers the highest levels of machine performance in industrial networking. For communication between drives, PCs, I/O and other devices, Unidrive M uses open protocols such as TCP/IP and UDP, delivering exceptional performance:
- Network synchronization of less than 1 μs (typically <200 ns)
- 250μs cycle time for the most demanding motion applications
- Virtually unlimited node count
- Bandwidth protection through a network gateway that manages none real-time Ethernet messages
- Master/follower and peer-to-peer communications capabilities
Network synchronization is a common requirement across many industries including industrial automation, entertainment, telecommunications and power generation. This requirement led to the development of the Precision Time Protocol (PTP) standard which provides a mechanism for precisely synchronizing clocks across all PTP capable nodes in an Ethernet network. PTP is defined by the international standard IEEE 1588 V2.
The wide range of applications for PTP has driven demand for chip manufacturers to provide network controllers that economically support this protocol. This has led to a massive and increasing choice of networking products that cost-effectively integrate PTP, including industrial Ethernet switches and I/O. Unidrive M integrates PTP onboard the drive within a dual port Ethernet switch enabling high precision synchronization across the Ethernet network.
IEEE 1588 V2 clock explanation
IEEE 1588 V2 distributed clocks are used to automatically synchronize the position, speed and current loops across all drives.
Manage non-critical network traffic through a network gateway
Unidrive M integrates a network gateway feature within the drive’s dual port switch. This uses standards called Differentiated Services Code Point (DSCP) and Quality of Service (QoS) to protect network bandwidth by eliminating or delaying noncritical messages from outside the control network.
Eliminate non-critical network traffic through segregated networks
Unidrive M enables segregated Ethernet networks, enabling the control network to be totally protected from external traffic.
Quality of Service (QoS)
- Provides a method of prioritizing time-critical messages
- Messages entering the switch are placed in queues based on their tagged priority
Unidrive M set-up, configuration and monitoring
Unidrive M is quick and easy to set-up. The drives may be configured using a selection of keypads, SD or Smartcard or the supplied commissioning software that guides the user through the configuration process.
Unidrive M Connect commissioning tool
Based on Control Techniques’ 25 years experience, Unidrive M Connect is our latest drive configuration tool for commissioning, optimizing and monitoring drive/system performance. Its development draws from extensive user research, using human centered design principals to give the ultimate user experience:
- Fast task based commissioning and easy maintenance of the Unidrive M family is simplified via familiar Windows interface
- Intuitive graphical tools enhance and simplify user experience
- For experienced users, dynamic drive logic diagrams and enhanced searchable listings are present
- Drive and motor performance can be optimized with minimal specialized drive knowledge
- Tool is scalable to match application requirements
- Supports the import of Unidrive SP parameter files and allows full drive cloning (i.e. parameter sets and application program)
- Multiple simultaneous comms channels for a more complete overview of the system
- Drive discovery gives the ability to find drives on a network automatically without the user having to specify their addresses
- Automatic RTU baud rate scanning on the Unidrive M drives which have a 485 connection
Unidrive M’s portable memory devices
The optional Smartcard memory device can be used to back-up parameter sets and basic PLC programs, as well as copying them from one drive to another. It also allows:
- Simplified drive maintenance and commissioning
- Quick set-up for sequential build of machines
- Machine upgrades to be stored on a Smartcard and sent to the customer for installation
Unidrive M uses popular SD cards for quick and easy parameter and program storage using an adaptor, allowing them to fit in the drive Smartcard slot. SD cards provide a huge memory capability allowing a complete system reload if required, and can be easily pre-programmed on a common PC.
Get the Latest Flash player.