MEDIGENIC® MEDICAL KEYBOARD - AWARD WINNING
Product Announcement from Esterline Interface Technologies
Developed by Advanced Input Systems, the Medigenic keyboard features a flat design that can be quickly cleaned in place with hospital-grade disinfectants. Users can touch-type with excellent tactile key response to swiftly document care. The Medigenic also features an alert system that reminds users to clean the keyboard at regular intervals and provides backlit keys for use in low-light areas.
The Medical Design Excellence Awards competition is organized and presented by Canon Communications LLC (Los Angeles) and is the only awards program that exclusively recognizes contributions and advanced in the design of medical products. Entries are evaluated on the bases of their design and engineering features, including innovated use of materials, user-related functions that improve delivery and change traditional medical attitudes or practices, features that provide enhanced benefits to patient, and the ability of the product development team to overcome design and engineering challenges so that the product meets it clinical objectives.
A comprehensive review of the entries was performed by an impartial, multidisciplinary panel of third-party jurors with expertise in biomedical engineering, human factors, industrial design, medicine, and diagnostics.
"Recognizing Medigenic for a Medical Design Excellence award is further validation for a product that was designed to help reduce the significant cost, suffering and death associated with hospital acquired infections. We are proud of the work we did in the development and proud to have received award recognition." Randy Noland, Director of Sales and Marketing.
The Medigenic keyboard and mouse addresses the growing concern for bacterial cross contamination via hospital keyboards. The Medigenic uniquely monitors cleaning status to safeguard both patient and staff. Excellent keyboard tactile feedback allows for high speed data entry while the flat design enables quick cleaning with hospital-grade disinfectants.
Infection Control Begins at the Entry Level
Computer keyboards are everywhere in healthcare facilities. Today, smarter prevention and control of hospital-acquired infections (HAIs) are driving the need for an infection-control keyboard: a new generation designed specifically for medical environments.
Typical healthcare keyboards have many users, so cross-contamination from and to patients by users can result in fatal consequences—particularly if transient bacteria such as methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) exist. Strong arguments for improved infection-control methodology are evident where computer keyboards collect bacteria and require attention to maintain cleanliness.
Esterline, Advanced Input Systems has developed a smart infection-control keyboard that helps monitor its own cleaning status to safeguard both patient and staff. The Medigenic™ keyboard's flat design quickly wipes clean with hospital-grade disinfectants. Users can touch-type with excellent tactile key response to swiftly document care.
The Medigenic Keyboard Combats Cross-Contamination
The easily cleaned Medigenic high-data rate keyboard is designed for use in medical environments. Unlike conventional computer keyboards that can harbor reservoirs of harmful bacteria, this state-of-the-art device from Advanced Input Systems promotes cleanliness to combat cross-contamination. In just seconds, the Medigenic keyboard's smooth non-porous surface can be clinically cleaned by utilizing a hospital-approved germicidal spray or wipe, including alcohol-based compounds. There are no raised keys to wipe around. No covers requiring replacement or disposal. No reason for submersion and drying. The Medigenic keyboard allows for easy disinfecting, which is essential for a clean medical environment.
- Sanitize in Seconds: Flat keyboard design quickly wipes clean with hospital-grade disinfectants. Moisture-resistant surface is comprised of a pliant silicone-based material making it impervious to spray or liquid cleaning products.
- Medigenic Alert System: Indicator will flash at defined intervals to promote good infection-control practices in any medical environment. Cleaning the keyboard turns off indicator.
- High-Speed Data Entry Capability: Immediate tactile feedback enables users to touch-type with excellent tactile key response to quickly document care.
- Backlit Keys: Keyboard is usable in low-light environments to accommodate data-input accuracy and reduce patient disturbance.
- Disinfection without Disconnection: Single disable key to eliminate disconnection while cleaning.
The need for a Bright Medical Keyboard
Social, governmental and business pressures are driving the need for better prevention and control of hospital-acquired infections. There is wide agreement amongst epidemiologists and hospital infection-control staff that the rates could—and should—be cut sharply.
Since computer keyboards are a frequently identified source of cross-contamination—as a result of point-of-care communications and automating patient records—we suggest you start at the entry level when you look to prevent and control HAIs.
The Medigenic high-speed data entry computer keyboard is ideal for any environment where bacterial contamination or cleanliness may be a concern. And its hygienic alert system will flash at defined intervals to promote good infection-control practices in any medical environment.
Medigenic Keyboard Typical Installation Sites:
- Operating rooms
- Intensive-care units
- Patient rooms
- Nursing Stations
- Dental Offices
- Food service
- Mobile carts
Conventional Computer Keyboards Spread More than Words
The colonization rate for computer keyboards and mouse with potentially pathogenic microorganisms is greater than that of other user interfaces in a surgical ICU. These fomites may be additional reservoirs for the transmission of microorganisms and become vectors for cross-transmission. Source: The Journal of Clinical Monitoring and Computing.
Information presented at the 15th annual Scientific Session of the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America highlighted results of a study designed to determine the ability of bacteria to survive on computer keyboards. Vancomycin-resistant enterococcus (VRE) and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) are capable of prolonged survival, with growths of the bacteria evident 24 hours after contamination. Source: Infection Control Today.
Consumers cite infection rates and cleanliness as two of the three most important factors when choosing a hospital, outranking other factors such as reputation and proximity. Source: University of Pennsylvania survey, 2005.
Size / Weight / Color
- Keyboard Length: 18.2" (462 mm)
- Keyboard Width: 6.7" (170 mm)
- Keyboard Depth/Height (at rear minimum): 1.4" (34 mm)
- Keyboard Weight: 2.5 lbs (1.2 kg)
- Keyboard Color: light blue
- Cable Length: 6 ft. (2 m)
- PS/2 Compatible (via a cable adapter)
Keyboard Layout and Language Set Availability
- 104/105 key - multiple languages
Keyboard Operating Systems
- Microsoft Windows® XP
- Windows 2000
Host System Requirements for a Microsoft Windows Based PC
- Microsoft Windows XP or Windows 2000
- USB port or PS/2 port
- Internet access (for downloading keyboard configuration utility software)
Integrated Keyboard Backlighting
- Intensity settings: 3 (low, medium, high) plus off
- QWERTY Key Life: 10,000,000 actuations per key
- Function Key Life: 5,000,000 actuations per key
- Storage Temperature & Humidity -40° F (-40° C) to 140° F (60° C) at 5% to 65% relative humidity (non-condensing)
- Operating Temperature & Humidity 32° F (0° C) to 104° F (40° C) at 5% to 80% relative humidity (non-condensing)
- Environmental Sealing Compliance: IP65
Agency and Regulatory Approvals
- FCC Declaration of Conformance (USA)
- UL and cUL Notice of Approval (USA and Canada)
- EU EMC Declaration of Conformance (European Union)
- EU EN60601-1-2 Medical Safety Declaration of Conformance (European Union)
- CB Scheme Certificate (International)
- USB Compatible
- CE Declaration of Conformance, Safety and EMC (European Union)
- One Year Limited Warranty assures repair or replacement. Please see warranty for complete details.