FlexStream™ Gas Standards Generator
Product Announcement from Kin-Tek Laboratories Inc.
The FlexStream™ gas standards generator provides:
• Permeation tube oven with wide temperature range controlled to 0.01 °C
• High-accuracy primary dilution mass flow rate
• Front panel color touch-screen human interface
• Automation of all calculations; key in the target concentration and the FlexStream sets the flow rate
• Single-oven module can create mixtures with up to 8 components
• External computer monitoring and control.
The FlexStream™ is ideally suited for creating trace concentration - ppm, ppb, and pptr - mixtures. The FlexStream uses KIN-TEK Trace Source™ disposable, refillable and diffusion permeation tubes for over 500 chemicals.
The FlexStream is composed of one or more of the following modules, depending on application requirements:
- FlexStream Base module: The "Base" module is required in every FlexStream system. This module provides (a) front panel color touchscreen, (b) permeation tube oven, (c) primary dilution mass flow rate and (d) Ethernet and serial RS-232 connectivity to an external computer.
- FlexStream Auxiliary Permeation Oven Module (PM): Additional permeation tube ovens allow generation of a multi-component gas stream for cases in which (a) the tubes must be maintained at different temperatures, (b) differing permeation technologies (disposable tubes vs. refillable tubes) are required, (c) more components are needed than can be held in a single oven, or (d) for applications in which various components will be switched in and out of the gas stream. Up to 5 PM oven modules can be added wherein each oven can hold up to eight disposable permeation tubes or one factory-refillable tube. An added benefit is that any combination of ovens can be kept on standby to keep various tubes at temperature while not adding their emission to the output gas stream.
- FlexStream Gas Feed Permeation Oven Module (GF): Most applications can use liquid-filled permeation tubes. However, some compounds (e.g., NO, CO, O2, etc.) have very high vapor pressures and require a special mechanism to achieve desired concentration levels. The Gas Feed Module contains the same oven as an auxiliary Permeation Oven Module (PM) but with additional controls that allow the customer to refill a "customer-refillable" gas-fed permeation tube and to set the operating pressure of the tube. These are special tubes, typically made of stainless steel. Prior to shipment, KIN-TEK determines the tube membrane's certified emission rate for one or more components. In use, the customer typically supplies component gas from a cylinder to initially fill the tube and to periodically recharge it.
- FlexStream Secondary Dilution module (SD): The SD module extends the range of concentration attained from permeation tubes by providing an additional stage of dilution of the gas stream. Very low concentrations - ppb or ppt - can be generated depending on the emission rate of the tubes and the flow rate range of the primary and secondary dilution mass flow controllers. Overall dilution ratios of 10,000:1 can be achieved.
- FlexStream Interface Module (IM): The Interface Module contains gas stream interfacing components needed to assure constant gas stream output conditions independent of variations in flow and pressure. The Interface Module is ideal for applications where flow capacity of end use is limited (e.g., filling of gas bags), or when back pressure is required to introduce the output gas stream sample to the device under test. Controls are provided on the front panel for adjusting the output pressure.
- FlexStream Modular Gas Standards Generator: The FlexStream Base module and any additional modules can be packaged in stand-alone carrying cases or packaged in one or two 3-module expansion cases as shown (unused module slots in the expansion case are filled with blank panels). The modules are electronically connected to each other by a short cable on the rear panel.