Product Announcement from Mi-Tech Metals
Crankshaft balancing is crucial to engine performance. In race cars, aircraft or other high-performance engines, professionals who are serious about crankshaft balancing rely on Mi-Tech Metals to provide the high-quality tungsten weights they need.
A number of tungsten weights are available in standard, stocked sizes in the Crankshaft Weight store. We also have free online tools to calculate weight and convert units of measure. And, as always, our Mi-Tech professionals are eager to help you determine the best solution for your particular need.
To determine which crankshaft weights will work best in your engine, it's important to remember:
- Regarding density:
- Density of HD17 tungsten = 17 grams/cc
- Density of steel = 7.83 grams/cc
- To determine the weight of high-density tungsten or steel:
- Weight (grams) HD tungsten = Dia²(inches) x 12.87 x Length(inches) x 17
- Weight (grams) steel = Dia²(inches) x 12.87 x Length(inches) x 7.83
- When switching from steel to HD tungsten weights, every gram of steel removed is replaced with 2.17 grams of HD tungsten. You have therefore increased the weight 117%.
- If you drill out 90 grams of steel and replace it with HD tungsten, you've replaced 90 grams with 195.3 grams. The net additional weight will be 105.3 grams.
- 195.3 - 90 = 105.3 grams
- An easy way to calculate the net additional weight added when using HD tungsten is to multiply the grams of steel removed by 1.17.
- 90 x 1.17 = 105.3 grams added weight
- The weights listed on our price sheet and the figures shown above are rounded to the nearest one-hundredth of a gram and can vary with the density of HD tungsten and steel, as well as dimensional tolerances.
- The cost of HD tungsten weights will be higher because of additional material normally added to length.
- We suggest you overbalance slightly and remove material to fine-tune crankshaft balancing. Detailed information is available on the balance sheet (available by request).
Crankshaft balancing isn't always an easy process, but the added value to engine performance is well worth the effort. Let the experts at Mi-Tech Metals help you apply the best materials available to solve even your most challenging crankshaft balancing issues.