Soldering with lower stresses on Solar Cells
Product Announcement from Metcal / OK International, Inc.
The need to reduce PV manufacturing costs combined with the present shortage of polysilicon feedstock are driving a steady reduction in wafer and cell thicknesses
Soldering of wires (tabs and stringers) without causing damage, or cracks, to the cells is one step that becomes more challenging. Cells can break during the process or later crack in the modules. Process equipment such as soldering irons must adapt in order to maintain high yields with acceptable mechanical and module reliability as the industry shifts the wafer thickness below 200 microns.
The ability to solder at low, controlled temperatures (connection temperatures must be maintained below 300°C) within a short time window, also reduces the stresses on the cells and the likelihood of micro-cracking, while still producing a controlled, high quality solder joint
Metcal has introduced the perfect solution: The PS-900-Solar Soldering System offering low cost of ownership, ease of use and unique SmartHeat® Technology.
SmartHeat® supplies power on demand using a calibration-free heater that reacts instantly to changing thermal loads, thus minimizing thermally induced stresses on the surface of the solar cells.
The PS-900-Solar combined with the specially designed STV-DRH440A hoof tip optimizes the power delivered to the work surface (solder joint) thus providing high performance efficiency with increased tip life.
Features and Benefits:
- Ability to solder at low, controlled temperatures
- Reduces the stresses on the cells and the likelihood of micro-cracking
- Produces a controlled, high quality solder joint.
- Offers low cost of ownership, ease of use
- Calibration-free heater that reacts instantly to changing thermal loads, thus minimizing thermally induced stresses on the surface of the solar cells.
- The PS-900-Solar comes with a specially designed hoof tip that optimizes the power delivered thus providing high performance efficiency.
Part Number Description
PS-900-SOLAR Solar cell soldering system
Product Comprises of:
|PS-900-PC9||:||Hand-piece with long cord (274cm / 9ft)|
|AC-CP2||:||tip removal pad|