Product Announcement from Path Technologies, Inc.
All materials that can conduct electricty are a candidate for EDM; Inconel, Mild Steels, Stainless Steel, Tool Steels (Fully Hardened), Super Alloys, Tungsten Carbide, Monel, Rhenium, Silicon Carbide Tantalum, Aluminum, Ferrous and Non-Ferrous Castings / Forgings.
The advantages of EDM over conventional machining include:
1) No part deformation due to heavy clamping forces required by conventional machining
2) No part deformation due to cutting forces produced by conventional cutting tools
3) No burrs
4) Very little heat is generated, therefore the overall accuracy is enhenced. The flushing mechanisms of EDM carry away most of the heat produced
5) Fixturing and clamping cost are greatly reduced due in fact to the ability of most state of the art EDM machines to align it's self with a work piece.
6) Very small physical features such as small internal corner's (.004 radius) can easily be produced