Resin Selection Guide for Molding
Service Detail from Proto Labs, Inc.
For a general guide to choosing resins for injection molding: see our Resin Selection Guide. For a listing of resins that we keep on hand, go to our Stocked Resins list. To see a list of links to manufacturers, search engines and other resin resources, click on Resin Links, and for resin coloring information: Custom Colors.
Choosing a resin
Selection of the proper material is crucial to part production. Designers should consider the mechanical characteristics, molding properties, and cost of the resin used.
Application-specific requirements will always drive the need for particular material properties like tensile strength, impact resistance or ductility.
Successful designs for injection molded parts are also built on an understanding of process-related issues such as the ability to fill the mold, tendency to flash, ease of part ejection, and the potential for warp, sink or void creation. Part geometry can be used to help address some of these issues, but just as material properties are an important factor in meeting the requirements of a given application, they should also be considered to ensure the moldability of the part.
The links below list some commonly used resins along with their brand names and a high-level summary of their material properties, moldability characteristics and relative costs.
See our Resin information page for the complete list of stocked resins and view our Resin Guide for more information.
- Compatibility with Rapid Injection Molding
- Links to additional resin information
- Availability of custom colors
Compatibility with Rapid Injection Molding
Generally, any conventionally injection moldable material can be specified. If the material is relatively standard, and we don't have it in stock, there may be an extra charge for us to procure a minimum quantity. Delivery could also be affected if the material is not readily available from the resin distributors. We are happy to work with specific resins you already use and would like to supply to us.
Stocked resin list
See our choosing a resin page for a guide to physical properties of resin types.
Material / Cost
- ABS, Black (Cycolac MG47-BK4500) / Medium
- ABS, Black (Lustran 433-904000) / Low
- ABS, Black (Polylac PA-765) / Low
- ABS, Black (Polylac PA-746) / Low
- ABS, Light Grey (Platable) (Lustran PG 298-703693) / Low
- ABS, Natural (Lustran 433-000000) / Low
- ABS, Natural (Polylac PA-765 (Natural) / Medium
- ABS, Sno White (Lustran 348-012002) / Low
- ABS, White (Lustran 248-SB02664900) / High
- ABS, Black 30% Glass Fiber (RTP 600 605) / High
- ABS/PC, Black (Cycoloy C1200HF-701) / High
- ABS/PC, Black (Cycoloy C2950-701) / High
- ABS/PC, Black (Bayblend FR 110-901510) / Low
- ABS/PC, Black (Bayblend T85-901510) / Medium
- ABS/PC, Natural (Bayblend FR 110-000000) / Medium
- ABS/PC, Natural (Bayblend T65-000000) / Medium
- ABS/PC, Natural (Cycoloy C6800-111) / High
- Acetal, Black 10% Glass Bead (RTP 800 800 GB 10) / High
- Acetal, Black 20% Glass Bead (RTP 800 800 GB 20) / High
- Acetal Copolymer, Black (Celcon M90 CD3068) / Low
- Acetal Copolymer, Natural (Celcon M90 CF2001) / Low
- Acetal Homopolymer, Black (Delrin 500 CL BK601) / Medium
- Acetal Homopolymer, Black (Delrin 500 P BK602) / Low
- Acetal Homopolymer, Natural (Delrin 500P NC010) / Medium
- Acrylic (PMMA), Clear (Plexiglas V052-100) / Low
- ETPU, Natural (Isoplast 202EZ) / Medium
- HDPE, Natural (Marlex 9006) / Low
- LCP, Black 30% Glass Fiber (Vectra E130i) / Very High
- LDPE, Natural (Dow LDPE 722) / Low
- LLDPE, Natural (Dowlex 2517) / Low
- Nylon 6, Natural 15% Glass Fiber (Zytel 73G15L NC010) / Medium
- Nylon 6/12, Black 33% Glass Fiber (Zytel 77G33L BK031) / High
- Nylon 66, Black (Zytel 101L BKB009) / Medium
- Nylon 66, Black (RTP 200 200 UV) / High
- Nylon 66, Black (Hylon Select N1000EHL) / Medium
- Nylon 66, Natural (Zytel 103 HSL) / Medium
- Nylon 66, Natural (Ultramid 1000-2) / Low
- Nylon 66, Black 13% Glass Fiber (Zytel 70G13 HS1L BK031) / Medium
- Nylon 66, Black 13% Glass Fiber (Hylon Select N1013HL) / Medium
- Nylon 66, Natural 13% Glass Fiber (Zytel 71G13L) / Medium
- Nylon 66, Natural 13% Glass Filled (Zytel 70G13 HS1L NC010) / Medium
- Nylon 66, Black 14% Glass Fiber (Zytel 8018HS BKB085) / High
- Nylon 66, Black 20% Glass Fiber (RTP 200 203 FR) / Medium
- Nylon 66, Black 33% Glass Fiber (Zytel 70G33 HS1L BK031) / Medium
- Nylon 66, Black 33% Glass Fiber (Hylon Select N1033HL) / Medium
- Nylon 66, Natural 33% Glass Fiber (Zytel 70G33 HSIL NC010) / Medium
- Nylon 66, Black 40% Mineral Reinforced (Minlon 10B40 BK061) / Low
- Nylon 66, Black Impact Modifier, Rubber (Zytel ST-801 BK010) / Medium
- Nylon 66, Natural Impact Modifier, Rubber (Zytel ST-801 NC010) / Medium
- PBT, Black (Valox 357-BK1066) / Medium
- PBT, Black (Crastin S610 same as 600F20BK810) / Medium
- PBT, Black (Valox 364-BK1066) / Very High
- PBT, Natural (Valox 357-1001) / High
- PBT, Black 30% Glass Fiber (Valox 420SEO-BK1066-BG) / Medium
- PBT, Natural 30% Glass Fiber (Valox 420 SEO Nat 1001) / Medium
- PC, Black (Lexan 940-701) / High
- PC, Black (Makrolon 2405-901510) / Medium
- PC, Clear (Makrolon 2458-550115) / Medium
- PC, Clear (Lexan HP1-112) / High
- PC, Infrared (Lexan 121 S-80362) / Very High
- PC, Smoke (RTP 300 399X71833 S-94450) / Very High
- PC, Natural 10% Glass Fiber (RTP 300 301) / High
- PC, Natural 20% Glass Fiber (Lexan 3412R-131) / Medium
- PC/PBT, Black (Xenoy 6620-BK1066) / High
- PET, Black 30% Glass Fiber (Rynite 530-BK503) / Low
- PET, Black 35% Glass Mica Low Warp (Rynite 935 BK505) / Low
- PET, Black 45% Glass Mineral Flame Retardant (Rynite FR 945 BK507) / Medium
- PETG, Clear (Eastar 6763) / Medium
- PP, Natural (RTP Anti-static Permastat 100) / High
- PP Homopolymer, Black (Maxxam FR PP 301BLK1284-115) / High
- PP Homopolymer, Natural (Profax 6323) / Low
- PP Homopolymer, Natural (Profax 6523) / Low
- PPA, Natural 35% Glass Fiber (Zytel HTN 51G35HSL) / High
- PPE/PS, Black (Noryl 731-701) / Medium
- PPE/PS/Nylon, Black 10% Glass Fiber (Noryl GTX GTX 810-1710) / Medium
- PPS, Black 40% Glass Fiber (Ryton R-4-02) / Medium
- PPS, Natural 40% Glass Fiber (Ryton R-4) / High
- PPSU, Natural Transparent Amber (Radel R-5000 NT) / Very High
- PS (GPPS), Clear (Styron 666DW2) / Low
- PS (HIPS), Natural (Styron 498) / Low
- PSU, Natural (Udel P-3703 NT 11) / Very High
- SB, Clear (K-Resin KR01) / Low
- TPE, Black (Santoprene 101-64) / Low
- TPE, Black (Santoprene 101-73) / Low
- TPE, Black (Santoprene 111-35) / Low
- TPE, Black (Santoprene 111-45) / Medium
- TPE, Black (Santoprene 111-55) / Low
- TPE, Black (Santoprene 111-87) / Low
- TPE, Natural (Santoprene 211-45) / Medium
- TPE, Natural (Santoprene 211-64) / Medium
- TPE, Natural (Santoprene 251-70W232) / Medium
- TPU-Polyester, Natural (Texin 245) / Medium
- TPU-Polyether, Natural (Texin 985-000000) / Medium
Links to additional resin information The following links may prove useful in selecting resins for your parts. These sites are not maintained by Protomold. The information on these sites is the responsibility of the organizations they belong to.
Property based material search engines:
Resin supplier links:
- Advanced Elastomer Systems—Source of thermoplastic Elastomer (moldable rubber).
- Bayer Plastics Business Group—Makrolon® polycarbonate, Bayblend® polycarbonate / ABS blend.
- Dupont Plastics—Delrin acetal, Zytel nylon, etc.
- GE Plastics—Lexan polycarbonate, Cycolac ABS, etc.
- Lanxess—Lustran ABS.
- Polyone Distribution
- RTP Plastics—Compounder—huge selection of fill/resin combinations. Excellent selection of bearing resins.
Availability of custom colors
Colors are available, and quickly if a rough approximation is acceptable. Protomold is not able to do exact color matching.