Product Announcement from RainWise, Inc.
Ready to Harness the Wind?
The WindLog is a compact, inexpensive wind data logger designed to test the wind viability of a location prior to the installation of a wind turbine. While many people rely on wind maps to assist them with this purchase decision, these maps do not provide detailed information for a specific area. The WindLog allows you to do your own accurate wind study to optimize your turbine placement and its performance. Install it on the prospective land or building to collect data on wind speed, wind gusts, and wind direction in real time.
The WindLog features include:
- 1 MB of Flash memory stores over a years worth of wind data
- Operates on three AA Alkaline or Lithium batteries
- Uses USB power when connected to a computer
- USB port provides fast downloads
- Free Windows software
- Logs average speed, wind gust and average direction
- User selectable logging intervals from one minute to one hour
Data can be downloaded from the WindLog using a 15-foot USB cable and the no-cost Windows-based WindLogger software (WindSoft), which uses a SQLite database to track and record wind information. The logging interval can be set from once a minute to once an hour. USB extenders can be used to lengthen the USB cable to over 100 feet. The USB cable can be left connected to the WindLog allowing real-time viewing of the wind data on a computer. By combining both logged and real-time data WindLog can be used both online and offline. WindSoft can generate statistics, graphs and reports. It can also export CSV files for use with Microsoft Excel or any other application that supports CSV files.
Battery life for the logger will depend upon the environment and logging rates. Typical battery life is 6-9 months. When connected to a computer the WindLog will use the USB port power to run. This further extends the life of the batteries.
The Mini-Aervane wind sensor is equipped with low friction race bearings. This reduces the threshold to approximately one mile per hour. The wind direction sensor has a 16-point resolution. Logged direction readings are averaged readings.
A support mast is included with the WindLog. This mast can be used with the Rainwise Mono Mount or tripod. The mast may also be attached to a support structure using U-Bolts or lag screws.
- Range: 0 – 67 meters per second (150 Mph)
- Accuracy: +/- 2%
- Sensor: 4-blade propeller – Lexan – UV inhibited
- Threshold: .45m/sec. (1 Mph)
- Transducer: Magnetic dry reed switch
- Frequency: 1 cycle per revolution
- Range: 360° – no deadband
- Resolution: 22.5°, averaged.
- Accuracy: +/- 22.5°
- Sensor: Balanced vane with a 16.5cm (6.6 inch) radius
- Threshold: .9 m/sec. (2 mph) at a 10° deflection.
- The balanced propeller is supported in stainless steel instrument ball bearings.
- The direction is obtained through 8 dry reed switches with no dead band.
- The M-AV sensor is made from UV inhibited Dupont Delrin, Lexan and stainless steel.
Please contact us for more information:
Toll: (800) 762-5723
Phone: (207) 288-5169
25 Federal Street
Bar Harbor, ME 04609