Product Announcement from Freudenberg-NOK Sealing Technologies Simrit
Plate seals are hybrid seals designed to incorporate the best features of flat gaskets and O-rings, while eliminating the drawbacks associated with each of those sealing methods. Plate seals originally gained their reputation for reliability by solving the critical sealing demands of the aerospace industry.
Plate seals typically use aluminum or steel carriers with a groove machined into the face and a rubber sealing bead molded into the groove. The two main types of plate seals include groove-bonded and edge-bonded seals.
Simrit offers plate seals for a variety of applications where improved performance over gaskets, O-rings, and other seals is required. Advantages in assembly, inspection, performance, and retrofitting make them the finest static seals available.
The advantages of using plate seals are:
Ease of Installation
- Rigid seals are easy to handle and install, particularly in blind or vertical installations
- Color-coded seal edges help ensure correct part identification
- Offers visual confirmation of seal installation
- Seal is chemically and mechanically bonded to mating surface and can not be dislocated
- Metal-to-metal contact prevents over-squeeze of seal and eliminates need to retorque
- Requires less sealing force than flat gaskets
- The rigid structure enables automated installation in higher-volume applications
- Reduces expensive machining required on mating components
- Single plate/multi-port sealing capabilities reduce inventory, increase manufacturing
productivity, and minimize warranty costs due to missing or poorly installed sealing elements
- Allows high pressure sealing without requiring backup rings
- Can reduce the amount of elastomer required, proving even more economical for high-cost elastomers
- Controlled squeeze metal-to-metal contact prevents over-compression, which is known to cause premature seal degradation
- Plate seals have the potential of reducing elastomer exposure and lessening fluid/swell issues
Simrit's proprietary materials for plate seals are:
- Simriz® Perfluoroelastomer (FFKM)
- Conductive Elastomers (e.g. FKM, FVMQ, VMQ, NBR, HNBR)