Product Announcement from Zeus, Inc.
Bioabsorbables are particularly suitable for various medical applications and provide an alternative to traditional polymers or metal components.
We partner with our customers to develop and deliver advanced polymers designed to meet precise degradation rates and other specifications.
Most of the commercially available bioabsorbable devices are composed of polyesters, primarily homopolymers and copolymers of poly(lactic acid) and poly(glycolic acid). Copolyesters of e-caprolactone, trimethylene carbonate, and para-dioxanone have also been commercialized.
The Zeus Advantage: Technology and Capabilities
Our bioabsorbable material processing capabilities and formulations are the most advanced in the industry. Zeus is able to extrude these biomaterials into high precision tubular geometries. We perform full polymer characterization to provide the necessary data to meet regulatory requirements. Our capabilities include tight tolerance extrusion, formulations, customization, sophisticated materials science, multiple combinations of the product, and degradation profiles.
Current applications include:
- Orthopedic – fracture fixation plates, pins and screws, bone augmentation, nails (scaffolding)
- Dental – packing, dry socket treatment, scaffolding
- Surgical – ligament repair, wound closure (sutures, suture anchors, skin staples, & adhesives), adhesion barriers, drug delivery, antineoplastic delivery, ligating clips, hemostasis clips, temporary RO markers
- Stents – vascular, coronary, biliary, ureteral, esophageal, etc.
- Tissue engineering – 3-D structures, electrospinning, molded, extruded vascular graft with scaffolding, bowel anastomosis and ureteral anastomosis, guided nerve regeneration, percutaneous devices with limited in-growth, tissue engineering scaffolds, vehicles for controlled drug and therapeutic agent delivery
- Modulated degradation rates
- Varying strengths and stiffness
- Multiple extrusion forms
- FDA-approved for medical devices
- Tailored to customer’s specifications
- Capable of safely existing and being absorbed in the body
- Finite functionality
- Absence of stress shielding associated with long term permanent implants
- Controlled/gradual rate of bioabsorption or degradation
- Tight tolerance extrusion
- Sophisticated materials science
- Advanced processing and development
- Multiple combinations of the product