Product Announcement from Zeus, Inc.
The ability to safely remain in the body for controlled lengths of time makes bioabsorbable polymers particularly suitable for various medical applications, presenting an alternative to traditional polymers or metal components.
Several families of bioabsorbable polymers are known which include polyesters, poly(amino acids), polyanhydrides, polyorthoesters, polyurethanes, and polycarbonates. Most of the commercially available bioabsorbable devices are composed of polyesters, primarily homopolymers and copolymers of poly(lactic acid) and poly(glycolic acid). Copolyesters of e-caprolactone, trimethylene carbonate, and para-dioxanone have also been commercialized.
The Zeus Advantage: Technology and CapabilitiesOur bioabsorbable material processing capabilities and formulations are the most advanced in the industry. Zeus is able to extrude these biomaterials into high precision tubular geometries and perform full polymer characterization to provide necessary data to meet regulatory requirements. Our capabilities include tight tolerance extrusion, formulations, customization, sophisticated materials science, multiple combinations of the product, and degradation profiles.
The Role of Bioabsorbables in Typical Medical ApplicationsZeus' Absorv™ biomaterials platform is targeted for the development of a wide variety of medical products for both preventive care and the treatment of disease. With steady growth in the field of bioabsorbables, typical applications are ever-evolving and expanding. Current typical applications include:
Orthopedic – fracture fixation plates, pins and screws, bone augmentation, nails (scaffolding)
Dental – Packing, dry socket treatment, scaffolding
Surgical – Ligament repair, wound closure (sutures, suture anchors, skin staples, & adhesives), adhesion barriers, drug delivery, antineoplastic delivery, ligating clips, hemostasis clips, temporary RO markers
Stents – vascular, coronary, biliary, ureteral, esophageal, etc.
Tissue engineering – 3-D structures, electrospinning, molded, extruded
Vascular graft with scaffolding
Bowel anastamosis and ureteral anastamosis
Guided nerve regeneration
Percutaneous devices with limited ingrowth
Tissue engineering scaffolds
Vehicles for controlled drug and therapeutic agent delivery
- Modulated degradation rates
- Varying strengths and stiffness
- Multiple extrusion forms
- FDA-approved for medical devices
- Tailored to customer's specifications
- Capable of safely existing and being absorbed in the body
- Finite functionality
- Absence of stress shielding associated with long term permanent implants
- Controlled/gradual rate of bioabsorption or degradation
- No second surgery for explantation
- Controlled load transfer
- Promotion and temporary support for tissue in-growth for tissue engineering
- Ability to match degradation profile with healing profile leading to optimal tissue differentiation
- No undesirable interactions with the body as associated with corrosion of metals
- Enables long term drug release
- Provides Novel and Alternate IP position
- Controlled rate of drug delivery or therapeutic agent
- Cost effective as compared to metal equivalents
- Tight tolerance extrusion
- Sophisticated materials science
- Advanced processing and development
- Multiple combinations of the product
Tg (C) Tm (C) E (GPa) Strength (MPa) Mass Loss (months)*
PLLA 60 180-190 3.0-4.0 65 18-36
PGA 40 215-225 6.0-7.0 95 4-6
PDLLA 55 amorph 1.0-3.0 40 12-16
PCL -60 55-60 0.2-0.4 25 24-36
PLGA (85L/15G) 55 140-150 2.0-4.0 65 12-18
PLGA (82L/18G) 50 135-145 2.0-4.0 60 12-16
PLGA (10L/90G) 40 202-210 3.0-6.0 45 3-4
PDLGA (50DL/50G) 45 amorph 2.0-4.0 45 1-2
PLDLA (80L/20DL) 60 115-130 2.0-4.0 50 12-18
PLC (70L/30C) 20 105-115 0.02-0.04 3 12-24
*Approximate values for a small selection of absorbable materials processed by Zeus
Zeus Tubing and other Products
- Custom Extruded
- AWG Size
- Fractional Size
- Heavy Construction
- Heavy Wall
- PTFE Heat Shrink
- FEP Heat Shrink
- Heat Shrinkable Roll Covers
- Monofilament / Fiber
- Snap Tubing
- Guide Rail Covers
Need More Information?
Contact us now for more information or to evaluate samples of our extruded tubing. To speak with a technical account manager, please call us at 1.800.526.3842 or 1.803.268.9500.
Zeus Online Catalog Available
Please click here to access our catalog for downloading.
Get the Latest Flash player.