Image Credit: Bobcat Company
Construction and demolition attachments are specialized implements that are attached to and used with heavy machinery to perform a task.
Construction and demolition attachments are designed for use with construction, mining, forestry, and recycling machinery such as:
- Motor graders
- Skid steers
- Logging equipment
- Quarry equipment
Additional applications for heavy equipment attachments include coal, mulch, rock, scrap, trash and woodchip handling; earth moving and snow removal; and metal recycling and reclamation.
Types of Construction and Demolition Attachments
There are many different types of construction and demolition attachments.
- Buckets are designed for heavy-duty digging. They vary in terms of width, but often have replaceable teeth.
- Bucket takes are similar to buckets, but have a progressive-link thumb.
- Grapples provide 360-degree continuous rotation and full articulation. Categories include rock grapples and clamshells.
- Hydraulic thumbs are designed for gripping and are capable of 135-140 degrees of rotation.
- Quick couplers permit rapid changeovers from one type of heavy equipment attachment to another.
- Slope packers are heavy equipment attachments for packing and roughening slopes.
- Claws are designed for grabbing and may include a hydraulic check valve to prevent accidental release.
- Boom attachments are used with forklifts and can perform some of the same functions as jib cranes.
- Brush cutters, stump grinders, and stirrers are excavator attachments used with landscaping equipment.
- Forks, pallet forks, and fork attachments are used with agricultural loaders and skidders.
- Hay handlers are used with farming equipment during haying operations.
- Root rakes are towed behind tractors, but are designed to remove roots and stumps.
- Rock rakes are heavy equipment attachments that collect rocks into a basket and allow soil to sift back through.
- Grading blades are designed for use on skid steers and may feature a hydraulic side-shift and end-wing kit.
Additiional types of construction and demolition attachments include:
- Snow blades
- Snow removal devices
- Tree shears
- Single tooth rippers
- Compaction wheels
- Tilt buckets
- Clearing rakes
- Skeleton buckets
- Bell-hole grave buckets
BS 7747 - FORESTRY MACHINERY - PORTABLE BRUSH CUTTERS AND GRASS TRIMMERS - CUTTING ATTACHMENT GUARD STRENGTH