Architectural Painting and Finishing Services Information
Image Credit: Advanced Finishing USA.
Architectural painting and finishing services coat, finish and paint interior and exterior surfaces and components in buildings and plants. Architecture painting starts with surface preparation such as power washing or sandblasting to remove dirt and manufacturing contaminants, old paint, and rust stains. Building painting can be done with conventional air sprayers, specialty high volume and low pressure equipment, or electrostatic sprayers.
- Architectural coating services use specialized equipment to coat building exteriors to resist water, corrosion, and fire, and to improve the wear resistance of the paint. This coating may include a layer of polyurethane to seal concrete from water, or apply a special type of paint to drywall or metal.
- Architectural finishing services include architectural metal refinishing services, companies that refine metal surfaces for the building trades and paint or coat items such as elevator cabs, window frames, and revolving doors. Architectural painting services specialize in painting surfaces such as concrete blocks.
Many architectural painting and finishing services perform secondary activities such as thermal cleaning, degreasing, spray washing, immersion washing, stripping or coating removal, and ultrasonic cleaning.
- Burn-off or thermal cleaning services use heat to remove grease, oil, or other organic compounds from the surfaces of parts.
- Degreasing services use a solvent or vapor to clean and remove organic compounds and greases that are insoluble in water or aqueous systems.
- Spray washing services use pressure washing or rinsing capabilities to direct a stream of water or a water/detergent mixture at high pressure to clean or remove surface debris such as scale, rust, dirt, grease, or abrasive dust.
- Immersion tank cleaning services and scrub tank services, immerse parts in a tank where the cleaning bath is agitated with impellers or paddles, or the parts are scrubbed manually.
- Stripping and coating services removes paint, coatings, or plated layers using a chemical or mechanical process.
Ultrasonic cleaning processes use immersion tanks in which the cleaning solution is vibrated at ultrasonic frequencies.
They vary in terms of material processing capabilities and certification or quality requirements. Some architectural coating services, architectural finishing services, and architectural painting services work with parts made from aluminum, copper, nickel, iron, cast iron, steel, stainless steel, titanium, metal alloys, and precious metals. Others process ceramics, metallized ceramics, composites, carbides, glass, plastics and polymers.
Certification and quality requirements include ISO 9001:2000, ISO TS16949, AS 9100, and QS-9000. AS 9100 is a set of quality guidelines and requirements published by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) in cooperation with major aerospace manufacturers. QS-9000 is a quality standard for suppliers of DaimlerChrysler Corporation, Ford Motor Company, and General Motors Corporation. Companies that meet U.S. military specifications (MIL-SPEC) and comply with OEM-specific requirements also provide architectural coating services, architectural finishing services, and architectural painting services.
Architectural painting and finishing services are located across the United States and around the world.
Related Products & Services
Buffing and Polishing Services
Buffing and polishing services perform smoothing operations that change a metal's surface appearance. These operations can be for aesthetic and/or functional purposes.
Finishing and Surface Treatment Services
Finishing and surface treatment services pretreat or finish the surfaces of manufactured components to meet roughness or surface condition requirements.
Industrial painting services apply paint to substrates for protection and/or decoration. They perform processes such as coil or roll coating, dip or immersion coating, dry lubricant coating, powder coating, and web coating.
Plating services apply a thin coating of metal to the surface of a substrate in order to improve conductivity, prevent rust and corrosion, and facilitate soldering. There are two basic plating techniques: electroplating and electroless plating.
Resurfacing, Recoating, and Refinishing Services
Resurfacing, recoating and refinishing services alter or restore damaged coatings and surfaces to a usable condition.
Surface Preparation Services
Surface preparation services clean, strengthen and prepare surfaces for additional processing and/or refine or roughen surfaces to meet finishing requirements.