Image Credit: Numatics, Inc.
Filter, regulator, lubricator (FRL) assemblies are pre-packaged or modular assemblies of common configurations of air filters, regulators, lubricators, and gauges.
Important specifications to consider when searching for filter, regulator, and lubricator assemblies include:
- Regulator type
- Performance specifications
- Adjustment control
- Connectors or pipe size
- Body material
- Environmental parameters
There are several choices for regulator type for filter, regulator, and lubricator assemblies.
- General-purpose regulators are designed for typical industrial use; generally operates only above atmospheric pressure.
- High-pressure regulators are rated for inlet pressures higher than general purpose; typically over 1000 psi.
- Low-pressure regulators have special design characteristics for precise control of pressures typically below 15 - 20 psi.
- Differential or bias regulators maintain a pressure differential between two locations in the system.
- Pressure-reducing valves are used to provide a sub-circuit with a supply of fluid at a pressure, which is less than the pressure in the main circuit.
Media types can be any of the following:
- Fuel or oil
- Hydraulic fluid
Important performance specifications to consider when searching for filter, regulator, and lubricator (FRL) assemblies include:
- Regulating (adjustment) range - Dictates the limits of adjustment control.
- Maximum flow (gas or air) - Unnecessary to specify if primary application is liquid.
- Maximum pressure rating - Refers to the pressure rating for the valve or inlet pressure for the regulator.
- Filter minimum particle size rating - Applies to filter, regulator, and lubricator (FRL) assemblies. It is the smallest size particle that will be entrapped by the filter. This rating is an indication of the largest opening in the filter element.
Choices for adjustment control for filter, regulator, and lubricator (FRL) assemblies include:
- Analog voltage control
- Analog current control
- Pneumatic control
- Digital interface
Connectors or Pipe Size
Connectors and pipe sizes for FRL assemblies include:
- 1/8” NPT
- ¼” NPT
- 3/8” NPT
- ½” NPT
- ¾” NPT
- 1” NPT
- 1 ½” NPT
- 2” NPT
- British standard pipe thread
- Metric pipe thread
Body materials can be:
- Cast iron
- Stainless steel
Common features for FRL assemblies include:
- Integral pressure gauge
- Pressure relief
- Corrosive media
Important environmental parameters to consider include operating temperature.
ADS AS3316 - FILTER PACK ASSEMBLY
BS ISO 6953-1 - PNEUMATIC FLUID POWER - COMPRESSED AIR PRESSURE REGULATORS AND FILTER-REGULATORS - PART 1: MAIN CHARACTERISTICS TO BE INCLUDED IN LITERATURE FROM SUPPLIERS AND PRODUCT-MARKING REQUIREMENTSMIL-R-50657 - REGULATOR, 15 VOLT, BOARD ASSEMBLY: 10548959
Related Products & Services
Air Pressure Regulators
Air pressure regulators control pressure in air lines (usually adjustable) to remove fluctuations and maintain consistent pressure for pneumatic devices.
Air valves allow metered fluid flow in one or both directions. They are used in pneumatic circuits to regulate the rate of activation or exhaust of cylinders and other pneumatic devices.
Control valves or proportional valves are power-operated devices used to modify fluid flow or pressure rate in a process system.
Diaphragm valves close by means of a flexible diaphragm attached to a compressor.
Plastic valves are made from plastic materials and are used in applications that require corrosion resistance and/or chemical handling.
Pressure regulators are used to maintain a constant outlet pressure or flow.
Sanitary valves are designed for applications requiring clean or sterile processing.