Lighting Fixtures Information
How to Select Lighting Fixtures
Lighting fixtures produce artificial light in industrial areas or workspaces. They are electrical devices that hold one or more lamps and provide illumination. Most are designed for use with fluorescent, halogen, incandescent, light-emitting diode (LED), mercury, metal halide, sodium, or xenon lamps.
Light Fixture Types
The GlobalSpec SpecSearch database provides information about these and other types of products.
- Desk lamps and table lamps areused for task lighting.
Image Credit: Control Company
- Enclosure lights are used to provide illumination within enclosures.
Image Credit: STEGO, Inc.
- Flood lights are used to light alocation or object to a luminance that is considerably greater thanitssurroundings.
Image Credit: Ameripack Corporation
- Floor lamps or sticks are standing lamps used for general-purpose lighting.
Image Credit: Sunnex, Inc.
- Pendants or suspended luminaries hang from the ceiling, or from a cable or track system, by supports. Recessed lights include down lights and fluorescent troffers.
Image Credit: Appleton Electric
- Track lights mount on the ceiling and consist of metal rods and movablelight fixtures that snap into place.
Image Credit: Ecopower, Inc.
Product and Performance Specifications
Light fixture voltage (V) and light fixture wattage (W) are standard performance specifications for most products. High intensity discharge (HID) lamps such as metal halide lamps may carry additional specifications such as spectral distribution, rated average life, lamp power, initial lumens, color rendering index, and color temperature. Halogen light fixtures range from 10 W to 1000 W and LED light fixtures come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
Features and Applications
Some lighting fixtures are designed for aerospace, automotive, industrial, marine, or outdoor applications. Others are used in residential, security, theatrical, or photography applications. Lighting fixtures for scientific, medical or dental applications are also available. Common features for lighting fixtures include ballasts, bulbs, battery power, solar power, dimmers, fans, light detection, and motion detection.
Read user Insights about Lighting Fixtures