Mechanical Testing Services Information
Mechanical testing services perform material and product testing that are aimed at determining structural integrity. Businesses offer these services to reveal the elastic behavior of materials when a force is applied. Common material tests include:
- Hardness testing to measure how resistant materials are to permanent shape change.
- Tensile testing to determine uniaxial tension thresholds.
- Torque testing to determine rotation about an axis.
- Fatigue testing to determine the fail point of materials subject to dynamic loading.
- Charpy impact testing which assigns a value to the energy absorbed by the material during fracture.
- Bend testing strains the material over a given radius.
- Proof load testing the load a material withstands before deformation.
- Shear testing tests a material's resistance to sliding/cutting forces.
Many other mechanical tests can be conducted on materials. Based on these results, design engineers conclude whether a material/design is correct for the intended application. Businesses may offer technical testing services on a contracted or retained basis. The location of the testing service should be considered.
Image credit: Element Materials Tech.