From IT Manager's Handbook: Getting Your New Job Done
What You Will Learn
- How to set up and staff a Help Desk
- What service level agreements (SLAs) are and how to define them
- How to arrange for user training
- How to select a call tracking package
Whether it goes by the name of "Help Desk," "Support Center," "User Services," or any of a variety of other similar sounding monikers, your IT department needs some kind of organization to provide assistance to your user population be it employees, clients, customers, or business partners. In general, IT Help Desks are designed to be one-stop shopping for all computer-related requests. For the majority, your support organization is the only interaction they will have with IT. For these users, IT is only as good as their last call to the Help Desk. As such, your support organization has an incredible opportunity to add value and improve the perception of your entire department.
4.1 Help Desk: How Do I Set One Up?
A Help Desk's responsibilities can include
- Ordering new equipment
- Password resets
- Requesting new IDs
- Computer supplies (diskettes, toner, CDs)
- Installation and move requests
- Scheduling training
- Routing and coordinating requests with other IT groups (application development, operations, networking, etc.)
- Providing application support
- Reporting and resolving hardware problems
- Helping remote users with dial-in connectivity
Two Critical Help Desk Issues
In setting up a Help Desk, you need at least two essential items:
- A centralized way for users to reach you usually a phone extension and/or e-mail address
- Sufficient staffing to answer and deal...
Products & Services
Topics of Interest
What You Will Learn What a "project" is and how you get started How to set up a project team How to conduct project meetings How to fund projects Ways to carefully keep track of your project...
Help Desks With the proliferation of hardware and software throughout corporations, Information Technology (IT) and telecommunications managers are faced with the task of providing troubleshooting...
Call Center Site Selection Site selection is the process by which you find space for your call center business, its staff, and perhaps the ACD, voice mail and other computer telephony equipment that...
The goal of this book is to give you the background on what it takes to run a customer support operation. But that's only the beginning. Here is a selected list of books and magazines that can...
Introduction When you work with a network or are directly responsible for it, you will often hear that there are problems with it. Some are common help desk requests from users who have problems...