From Engineering Techniques for Early Detection and Treatment of Cancer

Lymphatic system transports lymph fluid from tissues to the circulatory system.

This appendix briefly describes the human lymphatic system.

Human Lymphatic System

Lymphatic system is a secondary circulatory system as shown in Figure A-1:


Figure A-1: The Lymphatic System

Blood plasma leaks from the capillaries of the circulatory system due to hydrostatic pressure, and fills the space between individual cells of the tissue. As a result, blood plasma becomes interstitial fluid. About 90% of this fluid is returned to the circulatory system through capillaries by osmosis. The remaining 10%, called lymph, gradually diffuses into another set of capillaries called the lymph capillaries. Lymph diffusing into capillaries carries excess fluids from body tissues and absorbed fatty acids. This diffused lymph is processed by lymph nodes before being returned into the circulatory system. It carries fat processed from fatty acids.

Lymphatic system consists of lymphoid organs, lymph ducts, and lymph vessels. Movement of lymph in lymphatic vessels takes place by peristalsis. Lymphatic system vessels have semilunar valves that permit only one way flow of lymphatic fluid under rythmic squeezing action of skeletal muscles. This rhythmic contraction of lymphatic vessels also results in lymphatic fluid getting drawn into the lymphatic capillaries. From these capillaries, the fluid moves successively to larger vessels. Through these larger vessels, fluid from the right upper body reaches the right upper duct, and from rest of the body the fluid reaches the thoracic duct. From these ducts the fluid finally drains into the circulatory system. Lymphoid tissues such as...

Copyright SkillSoft Corporation 2007 under license agreement with Books24x7

Products & Services
Biological Materials
Biological materials are biocompatible materials, natural or man-made, that comprise a whole or a part of a living structure or biomedical device that performs, augments, or replaces a natural function
Wiring Ducts
Wiring ducts are rigid trays typically used as raceways for cables and wires within electrical enclosures.
Pharmaceutical and Medical Gases
Pharmaceutical and medical gases are pure fluids which are used to synthesize, sterilize, or insulate processes or products which contribute to human health. They are also administered to patients as therapy.
HVAC Ductwork
HVAC ductwork includes pipe or closed conduits made of sheet metal, fiberglass board, or other suitable material for conducting air to and from an air handling unit.
Air Hose and Air Duct Hose
Air hose and air duct hose is used in pneumatic systems and controls, or as supply lines for pneumatic devices and tools.

Topics of Interest

Cells are classified into three families: Bacteria, Eukarya, Archaea. Bacteria are denoted as prokaryotes, animal cells and fungi are called eukaryotes. This appendix describes the characteristics...

2 The Circulatory System in the Human Body The primary functions of the cardiovascular system are: (i) to pick up oxygen and nutrients from the lungs and the intestine, respectively, and deliver them...

Stephen C. Cowin, The New York Center for Biomedical Engineering Departments of Biomedical & Mechanical Engineering, The School of Engineering of The City College and The Graduate School of The City...

Cancer is indicative of a class of diseases which are characterized by uncontrolled division of cells. For division of cells to be called as cancerous, the cells produced as a result of the division...

Douglas Mcgregor 9.1 INTRODUCTION Tumours are, literally, swellings. They have, however, come to mean a special kind of swelling that, popularly, is called a growth or, if it is a particularly...