From Accelerated Product Development: Combining Lean and Six Sigma for Peak Performance
- Activity-Based Costing
- An accounting method that allows a company to determine the actual cost associated with each product or service produced, independent of the company's overhead cost structure.
- A piece of information or characteristic that describes a part in some way.
- Baseline Event
- A comprehensive self-assessment used as the starting point to initiate process improvement. The objectives of the baseline event are to identify where problems exist, shape a vision for the future, determine where to start and what to do, and to solicit management commitment to proceed with an improvement plan.
- A condition occuring in a process when its incoming work level exceeds its output level.
- The co-location of people (skills) and equipment required to process families of similar work, parts, or products.
- Commodity Parts and Consumables
- Parts represented in a company's product portfolio that are typically "off-the-shelf" items purchased by a company in support of the products they sell to their customers. Examples of these types of parts include nuts, bolts, diodes, capacitors, greases, lubricants, etc.
- Component Design Compliance Matrix
- A product development tool that identifies design requirements, criteria, verification and validation methods, and current experience levels for an individual component. This tool assists in developing actions when component designs do not meet minimum technical requirements.
- Concurrent Engineering
- A systematic approach to the integrated, concurrent design of products and their related processes, including manufacturing and support.
- Critical-To-Quality (CTQ) Characteristic
- A term used to define one of the select few characteristics of a product, which has...
Products & Services
Topics of Interest
References Fiore, Clifford. Lean Strategies for Product Development: Achieving Breakthrough Performance in Bringing Products to Market. Milwaukee, WI: ASQ Quality Press, 2003. Hines,...
A Accountability, 80 Accounting method, 104 ACME Sandwich Company, 13-18, 15 Activity-based costing, 104-105 Alpha/beta testing, 38n B Backlog and discovery teams, 70...
Version 1.1 of Design for Manufacture (DFM) Concurrent Costing software allows engineers to quickly generate an initial cost estimate at any stage of the design process. Developed by (Wakefield, RI),...
Medical Device & Diagnostic Industry Susan E. Carlson and Natasha Ter-Minassian Among the bevy of techniques and tools that have been advanced to solve the problems faced by design and...
Glossary A Allocation Assigning each requirement to a component of the system where it will be implemented. Application The use of capabilities (services and facilities) provided by...