From Electromechanical Design Handbook, Third Edition
2.1 DEFINITIONS AND BASIC UNITS OF MECHANICS
In this section we will deal with two measurement systems: the U.S. customary gravitational system, and the SI absolute system, which uses metric units. Some commonly measured mechanical properties are defined here.
- Time rate of change of velocity. It is thus a time rate of change of a time rate of change.
- The single individual forces that are the equivalent of the resultant.
- Forces whose lines of action or directions pass through a common point, or meet at a common point.
- Forces all in the same plane.
- A system of nonconcurrent forces tending to produce rotation about an axis.
- Concerns bodies not in equilibrium; i.e., not at rest or with nonuniform motion.
- A property of matter that causes it to resist change in its motion or its state of rest.
- A branch of dynamics that deals only with motions of bodies, not considering forces. It can thus be described as the geometry of motion.
- A branch of dynamics that relates the actions of forces to the resulting motions of bodies.
- The measure of the inertia of a body. Mass also initiates gravitational attraction.
- The science that deals with forces and their effects on bodies at rest or in motion.
- A force with respect to a point, which is the product of the force and the perpendicular distance from the point to the direction of the force (line of force). The distance...
Products & Services
Topics of Interest
3.1 MENSURATION Plane areas, surface areas, and volumes of the regular geometric shapes and solids illustrated herein can be calculated by using the formulas which appear next to the respective...
16.1 STAMPING Operations called stamping, pressing, and sometimes drawing involve clamping a sheet at its edges and forcing it into a die cavity with a punch, as shown in Figure 16.1. The sheet is...
PUNCHES, DIES, AND PRESS WORK Clearance between Punches and Dies The amount of clearance between a punch and die for blanking and perforating is governed by the thickness and kind of stock to be...
FEA has been useful in evaluating designs. Now it's finding more ways to improve manufacturing. Engineers at Jagemann Stamping use CosmosWorks FEA to improve the operation of the company's...
8.1 Definitions Tooling. Tooling is a general term used to encompass many different processes involving the design and manufacture of special tools, dies, molds, jigs, and fixtures. The most common...