From Electromechanical Design Handbook, Third Edition
2.1 DEFINITIONS AND BASIC UNITS OF MECHANICS
In this section we will deal with two measurement systems: the U.S. customary gravitational system, and the SI absolute system, which uses metric units. Some commonly measured mechanical properties are defined here.
- Time rate of change of velocity. It is thus a time rate of change of a time rate of change.
- The single individual forces that are the equivalent of the resultant.
- Forces whose lines of action or directions pass through a common point, or meet at a common point.
- Forces all in the same plane.
- A system of nonconcurrent forces tending to produce rotation about an axis.
- Concerns bodies not in equilibrium; i.e., not at rest or with nonuniform motion.
- A property of matter that causes it to resist change in its motion or its state of rest.
- A branch of dynamics that deals only with motions of bodies, not considering forces. It can thus be described as the geometry of motion.
- A branch of dynamics that relates the actions of forces to the resulting motions of bodies.
- The measure of the inertia of a body. Mass also initiates gravitational attraction.
- The science that deals with forces and their effects on bodies at rest or in motion.
- A force with respect to a point, which is the product of the force and the perpendicular distance from the point to the direction of the force (line of force). The distance...
Products & Services
Topics of Interest
3.1 MENSURATION Plane areas, surface areas, and volumes of the regular geometric shapes and solids illustrated herein can be calculated by using the formulas which appear next to the respective...
MECHANICS Throughout this section in this Handbook, both English and metric SI data and formulas are given to cover the requirements of working in either system of measurement. Except for the passage...
1.2 DYNAMICS OF POINT MASSES Kinematics deals with the description of the motions of objects in space and time. Dynamics examines the causes and seeks to explain the motions. Contrary to the earlier...
STATICS 1 Definitions Statics. That branch of mechanics which deals with the equilibrium of forces on bodies at rest (or moving at a uniform velocity in a straight line). Force. The action of one body...
Overview When we were carrying on our wind-tunnel work we had no thought of ever trying to build a power aeroplane. We did that work just for the fun we got out of learning new truths. Orville Wright,...