From Optical System Design
- Abbe number (also Vnumber)
- ( n d - 1)/( n F - n c), where n d is the refractive index at wavelengths d = 0.5876 ?m, F = 0.4861 ?m, and C = 0.6563 ?m. Also called V number.
- Geometrical errors in imagery whereby a perfect (or stigmatic) image is not formed. Typical aberrations include spherical aberration, astigmatism, coma, and chromatic aberration. The aberration of distortion does not affect the image quality but rather the image position. Similarly field curvature creates an image on a curved image surface. Lens bendings, locations, powers, glass types, as well as number of lenses and stop position, are all used to minimize aberrations.
- achromatic lens
- A lens using two or more glass types which brings two colors to a common focus. Refractive along with diffractive optics can also lead to achromatic designs.
- afocal lens
- A lens system which takes collimated light input and produces collimated light out, such as a pair of binoculars, a telescope, and a beam expander.
- Airy disk
- The central maximum of the diffraction pattern from a perfect optical system with a circular unobscured aperture. The diameter of the Airy disk is 2.44 ? f/number.
- anomaly, image
- False or "ghostlike" images in thermal infrared systems which are caused by the detector "seeing," or sensing energy from, portions of the system interior (rather than scene energy). If the system interior is at a different...
Products & Services
Topics of Interest
2.9. TWYMAN–GREEN INTERFEROGRAMS AND THEIR ANALYSIS The interferograms due to the primary aberrations can be described by using the wavefront function by Kingslake (1925–1926),...
Glossary The following is a glossary of terms common to the field of lens and optical system design. An optical practitioner who is new to this field might well profit from a thorough perusal of this...
Chapter 1: LENSES Chapter 2: AFOCAL SYSTEMS Chapter 3: POLARIZERS Chapter 4: NONDISPERSIVE PRISMS1 ,2 Chapter 5: DISPERSIVE PRISMS AND GRATINGS Chapter 6: INTEGRATED OPTICS Chapter 7: MINIATURE...
Glossary This glossary has been developed specifically to aid the reader of this volume in interpreting unfamiliar terms. The definitions are intended to have a practical, rather than formal,...
Chapter 32: TECHNIQUES OF FIRST-ORDER LAYOUT Chapter 33: ABERRATION CURVES IN LENS DESIGN Chapter 34: OPTICAL DESIGN SOFTWARE Chapter 35: OPTICAL SPECIFICATIONS Chapter 36: TOLERANCING TECHNIQUES...