From SANs Demystified
- A port on a Fibre Channel switch that can function either as an F_Port or as an E_Port. The functionality of a G_Port is determined during port login. G_Port functions as an F_Port when connected to an N_Port and as an E_Port when connected to an E_Port.
- Gigabit Ethernet.
- Gb, Gbit, gigabit
- Shorthand for 1,000,000,000 (10 9) bits. Storage Networking Industry Association publications typically use the term Gbit to refer to 10 9 bits rather than 1,073,741,824 (2 30) bits; for Fibre Channel, 1,062,500,000 bits per second.
- GB, Gbyte, gigabyte
- Shorthand for 1,000,000,000 (10 9) bytes. The Storage Networking Industry Association uses Gbyte to refer to 10 9 bytes, as is common in I/O-related applications, rather than the 1,073,741,824 (2 30) convention sometimes used in describing computer system RAM.
- Gigabyte interface converter.
- The mathematical description of the layout of blocks on a disk; the primary aspects of a disk s geometry are the number of recording bands and the number of tracks and blocks per track in each, the number of data tracks per cylinder, and the number and layout of spare blocks reserved to compensate for medium defects.
- Gigabaud link module (GLM)
- A transceiver that converts between electrical signals used by HBSs (and similar Fibre Channel devices) and either electrical or optical signals suitable for transmission; GLMs allow designers to design one type of device and adapt it for either copper...
Products & Services
Topics of Interest
I ICMP Internet Control Message Protocol. Idempotency A property of operations on data; an idempotent operation is one that has the same result no matter how many times it is performed on the same...
7.1 INTRODUCTION As data is transmitted over a medium, attenuation, combined noise, and jitter sources all distort the shape of the transmitted bits, both in amplitude and time, to such a...
Introduction Fibre Channel technology is over a decade old. How successful has it been? Here is an illustration. The first edition of this book included a section called The Unification of LAN and...
Solutions in this chapter: Overview of SANs Taming the Storage Monster Benefits of Building a SAN When to Deploy a SAN Steps to a Successful SAN Deployment Summary Solutions Fast Track...
Introduction This chapter covers the design of the 8B/10B transmission code used for Fibre Channel transmission, and the transmitter and receiver states. 8B/10B Transmission Code Overview When data...