From Troubleshooting: A Technician's Guide, 2nd Edition
- alternating current, a type of electricity whose voltage varies at a constant sinusoidal rate
- administrative controls
- controls placed on activities through the use of permits, standard operating procedures, standard maintenance procedures or practices, supervision, etc. to insure safe operation and maintenance of the facility as well as maintain normal operations
- the use of logic or other methodologies to analyze
- 1) acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ); 2) tested and certified by a national testing laboratory such as Underwriter Laboratories (UL) or Factory Mutual (FM); UL "lists" while FM "approves" equipment
- authority having jurisdiction (AHJ)
- 1) organization, office, or individual responsible for approving equipment, an installation, or procedure (NFPA); 2) acceptable to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- autoignition temperature (AIT)
- the temperature at which a hot component or surface can ignite a flammable mixture
- the fractional uptime of a system or process, expressed as a percentage, i.e., a system is 90% available
- bathtub curve
- a reliability curve shaped like a bathtub that plots failure rate ( ?) on the y-axis against operating time on the x-axis; commonly applies to electronic and electrical instruments and equipment
- the process of venting process material from a primary element, impulse lines, or an instrument; because of the hazards involved, most facilities have safety procedures governing how to do this
- slang for a control panel; in distributed control systems it means control room display instrumentation
- board operator
- control room operator
Products & Services
Topics of Interest
This chapter defines terms as they will be used in this document. Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) An organization, office, or individual responsible for approving designs, equipment,...
A A ampere ac alternating current ACEG alternating current equipment ground ACR attenuation-to-crosstalk ratio AFF above finished floor...
Codes, Standards, and Regulations Introduction Because telecommunications cabling installers work with other disciplines, such as data processing and the building industry, they must follow...
AHJ authorities having jurisdiction AMTS advanced microturbine system ANOPR A Notice of Proposed Rulemaking APU auxiliary power unit AQMD Air Quality...
This chapter describes various interior plumbing systems and provides the system design criteria necessary for accurate and cost-effective sizing of equipment and piping for each of the systems. For a...