Purity Plus describes Dow’s dedication to pure excellence in propylene glycol. Dow has a very high dedication to consistent quality and purity which governs the entire product supply process for products like DOW PuraGuard™ Propylene Glycol USP/EP.1
And when purity matters, turn to the product that offers confidence and security. DOW PuraGuard™ Propylene Glycol USP/EP offers among the highest purity and most consistent quality available – with a specified purity of 99.8 percent or greater, non-detectable MEG/DEG2 contents, adherence to Joint IPEC-PQG3 Good Manufacturing Practices for Pharmaceutical Excipients, and a two-year shelf life when stored according to Dow’s recommendations.4 Think of it as “your security for purity.”
Dow’s propylene glycol is backed by Purity Plus with quality, supply chain and exceptional solutions. Learn more about DOW PuraGuard™ PG USP/EP for pharmaceutical, food, personal care and animal feed applications in their new literature.
About Dow Propylene Glycol
Propylene glycol (PG) is a clear, colorless liquid with the consistency of syrup. It is practically odorless and tasteless. It is hygroscopic (attracts water), has low toxicity and outstanding stability, as well as high flash and boiling points, low vapor pressure and broad solvency. In addition, propylene glycol is an excellent solvent for many organic compounds and is completely water-soluble. These properties make PG ideal for a wide array of applications, such as:
- Antifreezes, Coolants and Aircraft Deicing Fluids
- Chemical Intermediates
- Cosmetics and Personal Care Products
- Flavors and Fragrances
- Heat Transfer Fluids
- Hydraulic Fluids
- Thermoset Plastic Formulations
Propylene Glycol Functions / Applications
- Solvent and carrier in flavor formulations for the processed food and beverage industry
- Solvent and carrier for colors, antioxidant, enzymes and emulsifiers.
- Plasticizer and softening agent for food-contact items
- Flavor extraction solvent and processing aid in the isolation of natural flavoring materials
- Humectant and stabilizer in prepared fruits, vegetables and bakery goods
- Solvent and extractant
- Emulsion stabilizer
- Viscosity modifier
- Freeze-point depressant
- Solvent and stabilizer for surfactants, emulsions and sunscreens
- Carrier for flavors, fragrances, preservatives and plant extracts
- Enhance solubility of other ingredients, improve formulation rheology, modify viscosity and contribute to a preservation effect in the formulation
- Excellent humectant
- Helps increase animal feed product shelf life
- Natural preservative
- Effective solovent
- Freeze-point depressant
- Readily available energy source
- Excellent wetting agent
1DOW PuraGuard™ PG USP/EP is tested against and complies with the specific requirements of current USP, EP and JP. It also meets, but is not tested against, Brazilian Pharmacopeia requirements.
The DOW PuraGuard™ trade name is currently commercially available only in North America, in conjunction with IPEA certification. Though the IPEA third-party IPEC GMP certification has been received only by the two North American PG USP/EP manufacturing sites; DOW PuraGuard PG USP/EP follows the same manufacturing process and meets the same product composition and impurity profile as standard PG USP/EP. Dow’s stringent PG USP/EP global manufacturing standards offer the availability of the same consistently pure, high-quality PG USP/EP product around the world.
2Monoethylene Glycol/Diethylene Glycol.
3International Pharmaceutical Excipients Council/Pharmaceutical Quality Group.
4When stored below 104 ºF (40 ºC) in closed containers, protected from UV light.
™PuraGuard is a trademark of The Dow Chemical Company (“Dow”) or an affiliated company of Dow.