Penny + Giles is wholly owned by the Curtiss-Wright Corporation of Parsippany, New Jersey, USA. Curtiss-Wright is a diversified, global enterprise delivering highly engineered, technologically advanced, value-added products and services to a broad range of industries in the motion control, flow control and metal treatment market segments.
Penny + Giles was founded in 1956 out of a partnership between William Penny and James Giles, where they identified a demand for instrumentation in the aviation industry for high precision, high reliability wire-wound potentiometric devices for customers engaged in aircraft flight testing.
Developments in 1957 led to the first aircraft accident data recorder (‘Black Box’). During 1963, the UK Ministry of Aviation gave notice of a mandatory requirement for passenger carrying civil aircraft to be equipped with accident data recording systems, and Penny + Giles were well placed to supply sensors and recorders for these systems. Through the following decades, Penny + Giles developed technologies and products for diverse markets such as:
- Professional broadcasting and recording
- Motor controllers for powered wheelchairs
- Paperless chart recorders
- Trackerballs for computer interfacing
Many of these autonomous business units were divested during the last decade, and the aerospace products are now sold with the Curtiss-Wright branding. Penny + Giles manufactures position sensors and joystick controllers for a wide range of industrial motion control applications in key market sectors. Products and technologies include:
- Non-Contacting Hall-effect linear and rotary sensors
- Non-Contacting inductive linear and rotary sensors
- Non-Contacting single and multi-axis joystick controllers
- Contacting linear and rotary potentiometers
- Contacting single and multi-axis joystick controllers
- Signal Conditioners and Displays
Penny + Giles is ISO9001 certified and their success in global markets results from innovative technology, creative designs, manufacturing excellence and interactive customer support. For more than 50 years they have built an unsurpassed store of experience which is supported by high precision engineering.