Protocol Interface Module - PIM (PLC Interface)
Featured Product from Ametek Solartron Metrology
Solartron Metrology introduces the Ethernet/IP™, ProfiNet®, EtherCat™ & Modbus TCP Interface Modules. These modules allow easy connections between the interface module enabled controller and Solartron’s flexible Orbit® 3 Digital Measurement System.
Solartron Metrology’s Protocol Interface Module (PIM) provides a simple way of interfacing the Orbit® Digital Measuring Network to most Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs). A distinct PIM is created for each protocol, including:
- Modbus TCP
- Modbus RTU (RS 485 Serial) can be interfaced using Solartron’s standard MODIM Interface. (PSIM required)
The PIM Includes the following features:
- Communicate with up to 150 Orbit modules with Explicit Messaging or 50 with Cyclic Messaging
- Power up to 10 Orbit modules (depending on type). (A PSIM can be used when more than 10 is required)
- Connect any Solartron Digital sensor including lasers
- Connect 3rd party sensors via the Analog Interface Module (AIM)
- Set up via free software interface
- One of the primary connectivity tools to different Rockwell Automation platforms, or any other PC’s that support Ethernet/IP™
- Explicit Messaging aspect of the protocol has been implemented for reading and setting individual parameters
- Cyclic messaging has been implemented to facilitate synchronized readings
- Ethernet I/P Server Mode: In server mode, the module accepts commands from one or more clients to read/write data stored in the modules internal registers
- One of the primary connectivity tools to different Siemens platforms or any other devices that support ProfiNet™
- The Explicit Messaging aspect of the protocol has been implemented for reading and setting individual parameters, cyclic messaging has been implemented to facilitate synchronized readings
- EtherCat™ is the open real-time Ethernet network originally developed by Beckhoff
- The EtherCat™ variant of the PIM provides both Explicit and Implicit data sets. However, they are all communicated through the same EtherCat™ backbone, there is a data latent reading the explicit non cyclic data.
- The ModbusTCP PIM variant provides communications between an Orbit® network of instruments and an ModbusTCP Master.
- The address ranges define the cyclic and implicit data sections with Input registers and output from 0 to being the cyclic data and holding registers from 4112
- The ModbusRTU Interface Module (MODIM) provides a simple interface for MODBUS RTU operating over RS485.
- Data transfer from Orbit is either individual readings of modules or synchronized readings of multiple modules
- Up to 115,000 Baud Rate
Set up as standard Orbit module that must be powered by PSIM.