Single Board Computers offer greater SWaP (RADB)
Featured Product from Data Device Corporation (DDC)
DDC Single Board Computers for Space Utilize Intersil Rad-Hard Components to Enable Greater SWaP Optimization
Bohemia, New York (April 2020) – Data Device Corporation’s (DDC) compact, high performance single board computers (SBCs) now offer greater SWaP (size, weight and power) optimization with the integration of Intersil Hi-Rel high-efficiency power regulation, power sequencing, supervisory, and interface devices from Renesas Electronics Corporation. The highly efficient Intersil devices enabled the development of DDC’s latest generation of SBCs, the 3U SpaceVPX SCS3740 series, which offer low power consumption (5W typ) and weight (550 grams), with high processing performance (up to 1700 DMIPS, 90 Linpack MFLOPS). The SCS3740 features outstanding radiation hardness, with a TID (total ionization dose) greater than 100krad (Si) and less than one uncorrectable upset every 120 years. Included are a wide range of I/O options: (8) General purpose SpaceWire ports (up to 200 Mbps each), (1) SpaceWire debug port, (2) UARTs (RS-422 or LVDS), (2) CANbus, (2) I2C, (1) SPI, numerous GPIO, (1) 1553 (requires external PHY), and Ethernet.
- SWaP Optimized Performance
- Highly integrated GR740 LEON4FT SoC (system on a chip) quad-core processor reduces overall parts count, enabling a compact 3U form factor, with low power consumption & high performance.
- Integrated SpaceWire router supports SpaceVPX Control Plane.
- I2C supports SpaceVPX Utility Plane.
- Proven Reliability
- Built on DDC's established pedigree of TRL-9 single board computers, utilizing DDC’s flight proven rad-hard Sp-COTS™ memory products.
- Since the inception of DDC’s Space Microelectronics group, more than 20 years ago, our rad-hard Sp-COTSTM and SBC products have experienced zero failures in space.
- Flexibility & Ease-of-Use
- Wide range of I/O options to match a wide range of mission requirements.
- Development Kit available for quick and easy start-up in the lab environment.
- 32GB of on-board NAND Flash with Flash File System.
- Real-time operating system support: Wind River® VxWorks 7.0. RTEMS™ and Linux available.
“The Intersil brand has a long history in the space market and an excellent reputation for high quality rad-hard parts. With the extensive Intersil hardness-assurance program and outstanding technical support, we were able to optimize development of the SCS3740, meeting challenging size, power and radiation requirements," said Dan Veenstra, Business Unit Manager for the DDC Space Microelectronics Group.
“The Intersil rad hard team is very thankful to have the opportunity to work with DDC on their latest rad-hard single board computer solution. It is products like DDC’s that are really driving innovation in the satellite and space industry, allowing us to get back to the moon and beyond,” said Josh Broline, Director, Rad Hard Communications Group at Renesas.