Secure bearings, bushings, and cylindrical parts into housings or onto shafts
Retaining compounds, a type of anaerobic adhesive, fill the inner space between components and cure to form a strong precision assembly. They are widely accepted as a standard method for assembling press- and slip-fitted parts.
Advantages of LOCTITE® Retaining Products LOCTITE® Retaining Products Offer:
- Higher strength with simplified and less costly designs
- Reduced dependence on machining tolerances
- Corrosion and fretting prevention
- Even load and stress distribution over the joint
When Used in Combination with Interference Fits, Loctite®
Retaining Compounds Allow:
- Higher load transmission and better performance with existing designs and geometry
- Equal performance with relaxed tolerances
- Reductions in the size and weight of an assembly
Problems with Conventional Assembly Methods That Loctite®Retaining Products Can Help Overcome:
- Pins, key/keyway assemblies have uneven distribution of mass, an imbalance that can lead to vibration at high speeds
- Splines and serrations cause high stresses due to the “notch effect” that occurs in the area of a key. And have high machining costs
- Clamp rings, press fits, shrink fits, and taper fits rely on friction alone to transmit torque, therefore they are limited by material, surfaces and design. Close tolerances are needed to obtain specific load capacities, leading to high production costs
Cost and Performance Benefits of Retaining Compounds
- Reduce or eliminate expensive machining operations
- Eliminate some surface finishing requirements
- Prolong equipment life through better fatigue and corrosion resistance
- Fill gaps so machining tolerances can be widened
- Help lower overall assembly and maintenance costs
- Simplify assemblies by reducing use of circlips, keys, dowels or threads
- Can eliminate the need for mechanical retainers
- Minimize machine downtime ensuring an earlier return to service
- Increase assembly reliability
- Produce more accurate, rigid assemblies
- Eliminate backlash in keys and splines
- Prevent small diameter shaft distortion
- Increase strength of heavy press fits
- Eliminate fretting corrosion
- Seal against environmental corrosion
- Eliminate high assembly stresses
- Reduce variations in load transmission
- Allow dissimilar materials to be assembled more easily
Retaining Compound Resources
Prevent metal components from loosening because of vibration and protect joints from corrosion or rust
Anaerobic adhesives work by completely filling gaps between components. They are typically used to augment the seal or holding force of a mechanically joined assembly. LOCTITE®
anaerobic adhesives include threadlockers, thread sealants, retaining compounds, and gasket sealants.
How LOCTITE® Anaerobic Adhesives Work
Anaerobic adhesives remain liquid until isolated from oxygen in the presence of metal ions. Though anaerobic applications differ widely, in most cases the adhesive provides high shear strength and temperature resistance. Anaerobic adhesives fixture in minutes at room temperature and fully cure within 24 hours. Full cure of anaerobics may be achieved more rapidly using short-term exposure to heat (e.g. 30 minutes at 120°C).
Additional ResourcesAnaerobics White Papers
Attention sign manufacturers, your sign assembly just got better! Our extensive product portfolio of 18 adhesives is the ultimate solution for your sign application needs. From construction to installation, we have the right product for every application.
Adhesives and sealants have several beneficial uses in the sign industry. Use adhesives to:
- Join Dissimilar Substrates
- Distribute Stresses Evenly
- Fill Large Gaps
- Seal and Bond
- Reduce Labor Costs (welding vs. general labor)
- Prevent Galvanic Corrosion
- Absorb Energy
- Eliminate Drilling/Tapping, Weld Read-Through and Mechanical Fasteners
- Maintain long-term sealing performance
- Look Better (Aesthetics)
Adhesives vs. Tapes: What’s the Difference?
Liquid adhesives are superior to tapes for many reasons. Here are a few:
- Repositionability – Tapes are difficult to reposition, which can lead to scrapping material. Liquid adhesives are easy to reposition, reducing waste.
- Fast Assembly – Liquid adhesives can be applied much faster than tapes, saving time in assembly operations.
- High Green Strength – As they cure, liquid adhesives become stronger than tapes.
- Preventing Creep – Liquid adhesives prevent bond lines from separating over time, regardless of how much weight is applied.
Why Henkel?New Technologies
We have new and improved technologies that are well suited for the sign industry:
Universal bonders and TEROSON® MS 5555 NA low cost SMP are both new to the sign industry. We feature two universal bonders and five different SMP products. These products aren’t used by our competitors. At Henkel, we are always thinking forward. We target specific applications where we can succeed and excel.
Outstanding Customer Service
LOCTITE® has excellent technical customer support teams. Our engineers will support your sign manufacture and installation through our extensive testing and development laboratories. We are here for you, through every step of your sign manufacturing, to make the process easier through both our products and our people.