Area Color Inspection System (ACIS™)
Featured Product from Radiant Vision Systems
For electronics products sold today, necessary markings such as symbols, text, and numbers are applied to components during the manufacturing and assembly process. Components can be made of metal, plastic, glass, ceramic or other materials and markings are applied using laser etching, printing, or similar methods. Product makers must ensure that any markings are free of defects, meet quality and brand standards, and comply with trade regulations. What manufacturers need is a fast, accurate inspection solution to identify quality and color issues so they can be quickly addressed and corrected before products go to market.
The ACIS Solution For Text & Symbol Inspection
ACIS combines the best of machine vision (text inspection and area measurement) and spectrometers (accurate color measurement) in a single tool. Leveraging the visual acuity and context of imaging colorimetry, ACIS provides an integrated solution that helps manufacturers improve quality while increasing efficiency. ACIS performs accurate quality inspection and measurement of text, symbols, and markings—simultaneously using a single camera image.
Small Surface Area Color Inspection
Colorimetric imaging provides precise color measurement of small areas or small parts prior to assembly. Manufacturers can determine if color specifications are met to comply with regulatory requirements and conform to brand standards. The ACIS solution measures chromaticity (e.g., CIE L*a*b*) and contrast of areas too small or difficult to measure with conventional inspection systems.
Verify Markings for Regulatory Compliance
Various markings are required on electronics to indicate compliance or provide crucial information to users. For example:
- Many products sold in the European Union require a CE mark, indicating that they have been assessed and meet specific requirements for safety, health, and environmental protection
- Any electrical or digital products sold in the Unites States with communication/transmission capabilities (such as Bluetooth or Wi-Fi) are required to display an FCC certification ID number
- Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) Directives are designed to ensure that any electrical and electronic equipment does not include specific materials that are deemed hazardous to human health or the environment
- A variety of national and international standards require markings related to battery and power specifications and safety, such as those of the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)
ACIS Solution Components
- A ProMetric® I Imaging Colorimeter and lens
- Proprietary dome lighting configuration
- Metal frame for easy set up and placement
- ACIS™ Software
ACIS Key Capabilities
- Measure multiple locations simultaneously across an area to inspect color consistency between points with near-spectrometer accuracy
- Inspect small elements thanks to high-resolution, high sensitivity measurement capabilities with pixel resolution ≥ 10 μm
- Take precise, CIE-traceable chromaticity measurements (e.g., XYZ, L*a*b*) of small areas that are difficult to measure with conventional systems