Pin-Compatible 5A & 3A Power Modules
Featured Product from Renesas Electronics Corporation
5A and 3A Power Modules Offer Industry-Leading Power Density and Efficiency
Single-channel, pin-compatible ISL8205M and ISL8202M offer compact solution size for battery-powered industrial and high-end consumer applications
Renesas' ISL8205M/02M single-channel DC/DC step-down power modules deliver high power density and up to 95% efficiency in a compact 4.5mm x 7.5mm x 1.85mm footprint. The pin-compatible 5A ISL8205M and 3A ISL8202M provide POL conversions for FPGAs, DSPs and MCUs in a wide range of home networking and high-end consumer products, as well as portable industrial equipment that use Li-ion batteries. The modules are complete power supplies that include a controller, MOSFETs, inductor and passive components inside an encapsulated module, simplifying system design.
With a height of 1.85mm, the devices can be directly mounted on the backside of a PCB, freeing up valuable space for topside mounted components. Both devices support input voltages from 2.6V to 5.5V and offer adjustable output voltages as low as 0.6V.
The pin compatibility allows you to start with a 3A power module and later migrate to the higher 5A output current, or design a power tree with multiple POL output rails. For battery-operated applications, the ISL8205M and ISL8202M offer unique efficiency and power saving features to extend battery life and support Energy Star® compliant products. Selectable light load efficiency, 100% duty cycle modes and 50µA quiescent current enable better efficiency and lower power consumption at light load.
Both power modules leverage Renesas' patented technology and advanced packaging to offer high power density and superior thermal dissipation performance. A copper lead-frame structure allows the modules to operate at full load over a wide temperature range with no airflow or heatsinks. The ISL8205M and ISL8202M also provide several protection features that ensure safe operations under abnormal operating conditions, further enhancing their robustness and reliability.
Key Features and Specifications of ISL8205M and ISL8202M
- Single-channel 5A and single-channel 3A switching power supplies
- Pin compatibility
- Up to 95% efficiency
- Wide input voltage range from 2.6V to 5.5V
- Adjustable output as low as 0.6V with ±1.6% accuracy over line, load and temperature
- Adjustable switching frequency from 680kHz to 3.5MHz, with 1.8MHz default
- External clock signal synchronization up to 3.5MHz
- Selectable light-load efficiency mode and 100% duty cycle LDO mode extend battery life
- Dedicated enable pin and power-good flag simplify sequencing of system power rails
- Fault protections include input under-voltage lockout, over-temperature, over-current/short-circuit with hiccup mode, over-voltage and negative over-current
- Programmable soft-start reduces inrush current, and automatic output discharge ensures a soft stop
- Complements the ISL8203M 3A/6A power module to provide power dense solutions for all of your compact <10A designs