Definition of Terms
- Affiliate: An advertising partner of GlobalSpec.
- Customer: An organization that interacts with GlobalSpec's audience. Interaction may take the form of advertising, information from a supplier, or sponsorship.
- Registered User: A user that has registered for GlobalSpec products or services.
- Third-Party Content: White papers, data, and other documents owned by content providers and made available to GlobalSpec's audience.
Intentional Interaction: An explicit user action taken regarding a piece of digital content. These actions include: clicking on a web page about a content provider or its products, visiting the website of a third-party content provider, registering to attend a webinar, or downloading a whitepaper.
An intentional interaction is not: viewing or hovering over a content provider's information when that information is part of a web page containing information about two or more content providers.
Information We Collect
We may collect information from individuals in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to:
- Information You Provide to Us Directly: Our services may require you to register with GlobalSpec. This includes general site registration, webinar registration, downloading GlobalSpec content and Third-Party Content, and participating in our surveys. When you become a Registered User with GlobalSpec, we may collect certain information such as a Registered User's name, email address, phone number, user name, password, and payment card information (collectively, "Personal Information"). We may also collect the following information:
- Company name and address;
- Job function;
- Industry Subscription preferences;
- Subscription preferences;
- Information about the device(s) you use;
- Information about service usage;
- Authentication data;
- Location data;
- Time zone; and
- Other information you choose to provide to us (collectively "Identifiable Information" and with Personal Information, "Personally Identifiable Information").
- Device Information: We collect device-specific information (e.g., hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information).
Logging Practices: GlobalSpec automatically records the Internet Protocol (IP) addresses of visitors. The IP address is a unique number assigned to every computer on the internet. Generally, an IP address changes each time you connect to the internet (it is a "dynamic" address). Note, however, that if you have a broadband connection, depending on your individual circumstance, the IP address that we collect may contain information that could be deemed identifiable. This is because, with some broadband connections, your IP address doesn't change (it is "static") and could be associated with your personal computer.
We track pages visited on GlobalSpec's website, the amount of time spent on those pages, and the types of searches done on them.
GlobalSpec also captures and stores information that you transmit. This may include:
- Browser/Device type/version
- Operating System used
- Media Access Control (MAC) address
- Date and time of the server request
- Volume of data transferred
- Unique Application Numbers: Certain services include a unique application number. This number and information about your installation (for example, the operating system type and application version number) may be sent to GlobalSpec.
- Local Storage: We may collect and store information (including Personally Identifiable Information) locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.
Cookies and Web Beacons: Cookies and web beacons are electronic placeholders that are placed on your device by websites to track your individual movements on that website over time. GlobalSpec uses both session-based cookies (which last only for the duration of the user's session) and persistent cookies (which remain on your device and provides information about the session you are in and waits for the next time you use that site again).
These cookies and web beacons provide useful information to GlobalSpec, enabling us to recognize repeat users, facilitate the user's access to and use of our sites, allows us to track usage behavior, and to balance the usage of our websites on all GlobalSpec web servers.
Tracking cookies, third-party cookies, and other technologies such as web beacons may be used to process additional information, enable non-core functionalities on the GlobalSpec website and enable third-party functions (such as a social media "share" link). We may also include web beacons and other similar technology in promotional email messages to determine whether the messages have been opened.
We will collect Personally Identifiable Information from Registered Users only if they voluntarily submit such information to us. Registered Users can always refuse to supply Personally Identifiable Information, except that it may prevent them from engaging in certain Site related activities.
How We Use Information We Collect
GlobalSpec uses (and where specified, shares) your Personally Identifiable Information for the following purposes:
- To provide support or other services GlobalSpec may use your Personally Identifiable Information to provide you with support that you have requested. GlobalSpec may also use your Personally Identifiable Information to respond directly to your requests for information, including newsletter subscriptions, webinar registrations, to forward your contact information to the appropriate resource for follow-up related to your interests, and other support requests.
- To provide information based on your needs and respond to your requestsGlobalSpec may use your personal information to provide you with new products, notices of new or enhanced products, product updates or releases, website features, or service developments.
- To select content, improve quality, and facilitate use of our websitesGlobalSpec may use your personal information, including the information gathered as a result of site navigation and electronic protocols and cookies (including third-party cookies), to help create and deliver personalized content, improve website quality, track marketing campaign responsiveness, evaluate page response rates, conduct usability testing, and facilitate your use of our websites (for example, to facilitate navigation and the login process, avoid duplicate data entry, enhance security, and preserve information between sessions).
- To communicate with you about a webinarWe may communicate with you about a webinar. This may include information about the content, logistics, updates, and additional information related to the webinar.
- To engage with third-partiesGlobalSpec may share your personal data with third-parties in connection with services that these individuals or entities perform for or with GlobalSpec. These third-parties are restricted from using this data in any way other than to provide services for GlobalSpec or for the collaboration in which they and GlobalSpec are contractually engaged (for example, hosting an GlobalSpec database or engaging in data processing on GlobalSpec's behalf). These third-parties are carefully selected by GlobalSpec and obligated to keep your data secure.
- To get feedback or input from youIn order to deliver products and services of the most interest to our audience and Customers, from time to time, we may ask existing advertisers and Registered Users to provide us with input and feedback (for example, through surveys, usability studies, and focus groups).
- To Forward to a FriendWe use third-party email addresses provided for the "email a friend" feature only for the purpose of sending newsletters, Product Alerts or webinar invitations to a subscriber-specified third-party, and for no other purpose.
Disclosure of Personal Information
When you become a Registered User with GlobalSpec, your contact information and registration details will not be shared with anyone other than GlobalSpec and its Customers. Information you provide when registering for, or participating in, a webinar or downloading a white paper, may be shared with our Customer, the webinar or white paper sponsor. Your information may be shared when you intentionally interact with our Customers' content on our website or via our newsletters. The sponsor may use this information in a manner that is common within their industry, e.g., contacting you with product information or to assess your interest in their products and services. The treatment of such information is subject to the privacy policies of the sponsor. The sponsor may contact you after viewing their content regarding updates or regarding related products and services. You should contact the sponsor directly if you have any questions about their use of your information.
Your information may be disclosed to our vendor and its clients as part of our list rental products. You can opt-in or opt-out of this selection by editing the selections in your user profile.
How Can You Control Your Information?
Users who prefer not to provide data requested for any of our registration processes do not need to register with us. While you can still view some of the content and use some of the services offered by our site without registering, certain products or services may not be available to you.
During our website and webinar registration process, we provide to users the option to opt-in or opt-out of receiving our email newsletters, Product Alerts, webinar promotional invitations, or emails from third-parties. Users who opt-in may also remove themselves from our email lists at any time through the edit profile pages or by following the instructions at the end of any email received from our GlobalSpec family of products.
You can control the information we have about you and how we use it in several ways:
- Access and Updating of Information
The instructions to review, amend, or delete your information may be found in the edit profile area on our site -https://www.globalspec.com/myglobalspec.
Registered Users may change information at any time and as often as necessary. Users who are experiencing problems with our services, or who have questions about how our services work, can contact us by sending an email to: email@example.com.
- Registration Password
Your profile information is password-protected to control access to this information by third-parties. We recommend that you do not divulge your password to anyone. GlobalSpec never asks for passwords in unsolicited phone calls or unsolicited emails. Remember to sign out and close your browser window when you have finished using any of our sites. This will prevent others from accessing your profile information, e.g., instances where you may share a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place such as a library or internet cafe.
To contact us regarding a privacy issue, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Where applicable, please be sure to include the site, newsletter, Product Alert or product so that we may better serve you.
Third-Party and Co-branded Web SitesSome Third-Party Content made available through other organizations is maintained on the website of the content provider, and not on the GlobalSpec site. This means that when you click through to that Third-Party Content, you will be leaving the GlobalSpec website. It will be clear to you when this happens, as the look and feel of your web page will change, and the URL will no longer refer to a website owned and operated by GlobalSpec.
Disclosure of Anonymous, Aggregated InformationGlobalSpec provides summary reports to our Affiliates, Customers and other third-party suppliers, advertisers, and service providers, based on our analysis of clickstream data. This aggregated information is anonymous and does not disclose any personal data about individual users.
Legal and Regulatory Information
Personal Data about Minors and ChildrenGlobalSpec does not knowingly collect data from or about children under sixteen (16) years of age without the permission of parent(s)/guardian(s). If we learn that we have collected Personally Identifiable Information from a child under age 16, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under age 16, please contact us.
Collaboration with AuthoritiesGlobalSpec has appointed and mandated a email@example.com who represents the regulatory authorities inside the GlobalSpec organization, and in return represents the GlobalSpec organization to regulatory authorities.
The GlobalSpec privacy officer will ensure proper communication with the relevant regulatory authority for privacy. The privacy officer will lead investigative action, complaint handling, and data breach notification. The privacy officer will also monitor regulatory changes and consult the regulatory authority where implementation of a regulatory or technological change leads to doubt.
GlobalSpec reserves the right to share your information to respond to duly authorized information requests of governmental authorities or where required by law.
Transfer of Information to Other CountriesAs a global organization, GlobalSpec engages in a number of international activities. In connection with the management of those activities, GlobalSpec may transfer information to other countries. By submitting your information to GlobalSpec via our websites, or in connection with your interactions with GlobalSpec offline, you consent to such transfers and to the processing of this information in other countries.
Your California Privacy Rights
You have the right to request from us the categories of Personally Identifiable Information we collect about you, the categories of sources from which we collect Personally Identifiable Information, the business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling Personally Identifiable Information, the categories of third parties with whom we share or sell your Personally Identifiable Information, and the specific pieces of Personally Identifiable Information we have about you. You may request this information no more than twice in a twelve month period.
GlobalSpec collects only the information you provide us directly, plus your website browsing behavior, device information, and location data. The specific items are listed above in the "Information We Collect" section.
The categories of Personally Identifiable Information we may have sold in the preceding 12 months include:
- Email address
- Phone number
- Company name and address
- Job Function
- IP address
The categories of Personally Identifiable Information we have disclosed for a business purpose in the preceding 12 months include:
- Email address
- Phone number
- Company name and address
- Job Function
- IP address
Should you find that the Personally Identifiable Information we have collected about you is inaccurate, you have the right to correct this information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or editing the information in your user profile.
You can request that information by calling 1-800-261-2052 or emailing email@example.com with "Request for California Privacy Information" in the subject line.
You may opt-out of the selling of your Personally Identifiable Information by submitting the form on this page, firstname.lastname@example.org, or by updating your user profile. Additionally, you can request that we delete any or all your Personally Identifiable Information we have collected.
Under California Civil Code Section 1798.83 (also known as S.B. 27), if you are a California resident and your business relationship with GlobalSpec is primarily for personal, family, or household purposes, you may request certain data regarding GlobalSpec's disclosure, if any, of Personally Identifiable Information to third parties for the third-parties' direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to email@example.com with "Request for California Privacy Information" in the subject line. You may make such a request up to once per calendar year. If applicable, we will provide you, by email, a list of the categories of Personally Identifiable Information disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year, along with the third parties' names and addresses. Please note that not all Personally Identifiable Information sharing is covered by S.B. 27's requirements.
Your European Union Privacy RightsUnder the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation EU 2016/679) (also known as GDPR), if you are an individual protected by the GDPR you may have certain rights as a data subject. To request information about or avail yourself of those rights, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "GDPR Request" in the subject line. In the email please describe, with specificity, the GDPR right you are requesting assistance with. Please note additional information may be requested prior to initiation of a request and that GlobalSpec reserves the right to charge a fee with respect to certain requests. Upon GlobalSpec's completion of its review, you will be notified if your request has been granted, denied, or exemptions apply.
Business TransfersIf all or part of GlobalSpec is sold, merged, or otherwise transferred to another entity, the profile information and activity data that you have provided to us may be transferred as part of that transaction.
If you have any questions about the policy, you can write to:
- 201 Fuller Rd., Suite 202
- Albany, NY 12203
- Attention: User Services
- Email: email@example.com
13 December 2019Ver. 3.0