The American Welding Society (AWS) was founded in 1919 as a multifaceted, nonprofit organization with a goal to advance the science, technology and application of welding and related joining disciplines. From factory floor to high-rise construction, from military weaponry to home products, AWS continues to lead the way in supporting welding education and technology development to ensure a strong, competitive and exciting way of life for all Americans.
It is our mission to inspire the welding industry forward in thought and action and inspire new generations to see the enormous global opportunities available today. Our success lies in connecting welding communities from every corner of the world into a collaborative force; built on a foundation of higher standars; advanced learning; and rewarding growth.
The Welding Journal, a major monthly magazine specifically serving the welding and manufacturing industries is mailed to all AWS Members. The publication includes authoritative articles that can help your business and professional development, as well as news, "how-to" stories, welding research, advertisements, and much more. Winner of more than 60 editorial and design awards, including the 1999 Florida Magazine Association award for "Best In-Depth Reporting".
In addition, Inspection Trends the magazine for materials inspection and testing personnel, is mailed to individuals and facilities certified by AWS, including all Certified Welding Inspectors.
AWS offers over 300 books, charts, videos, relicas, proceedings, and software. 160 AWS-developed codes, recommended practices, and guides are produced under strict American National Standards Institute (ANSI) procedures, including one of the most consulted codes in the world, D1.1 Structural Welding Code - Steel.
AWS offers seminars to prepare for certifications, educational programming through conferences and the FABTECH Show, SENSE program information and home-study options through AWS Learning. Find out today why it pays to prep with the best!
FABTECH is the largest event in North America dedicated to showcasing a full spectrum of metal forming, fabricating, tube and pipe, and welding equipment and technology. Thousands of buyers and sellers from around the world gather to exchange products and services, form new business relationships, problem-solve, and share best practices.
Visit AWS at additional events!
The Professional Program
The AWS Professional Program offers a broad spectrum of Technical Papers describing the latest findings in welding research, processes and applications. Special sessions and gatherings exploring the boundaries of industry issues are also significant features of the convention. Subjects cover an entire range of industry concerns from the joining of space age materials to production management techniques, testing, quality assurance and more.
The Heart of AWS: Our Local Sections
Our Sections are the foundation of AWS: these locally-based groups shape the continued strength and advancement of our global organization and the welding industry in general.
Discover many advantages of AWS section meetings and activities:
- Fresh thinking. Need new ideas to help you achieve your goals; work smarter or generate more efficient results? Sections are a great resource to break out of your rut and get fresh input from a variety of people with different perspectives and experiences.
- Connections.You'll find many opportunities to network with your fellow professionals and forge mutually-rewarding business and professional relationships.
- Practical advice. If you're facing challenging business or career issues, seek out Section members with years of experience: their insights and advice could save you a lot of wasted time, money and mistakes.
- Professional development. You can earn continuing education hours by attending your Sectionâ??s technical meetings, as well as other planned activities like educational seminars, plant tours, social events, student programs, community projects and more.
- Camaraderie. Most people really enjoy AWS Section activities and often forming lasting friendships based upon the mutual interests and experiences we all share as welding industry professionals.