Featured Product from SPIROL
The SPIROL range of Compression Limiters includes: Series CL200 and CL350 Split Seam designs, CL400 Oval Split Seam, CL460 Oval Molded-In and the Series CL500 Molded-In. Standard machined options include: CL600 aluminum and CL601 headed aluminum Compression Limiters, and the CL800 brass and CL801 headed brass Compression Limiters.
The CL350 split seam type is produced from high carbon steel. The solid knurled type is produced from brass and aluminum. Since these Compression Limiters are designed to meet specified proof loads, the dimensional specifications are different. The split seam design has a lead to facilitate insertion. The solid design has a pilot, allowing it to stand freely in the hole prior to complete installation.
• Series CL200 Split Seam: The Series CL200 Compression Limiter is produced from high carbon steel and intended for post-mold installation. The spring force generated during installation provides self-retention in the assembly. The flexible diameter accommodates wide hole tolerances, yet the gap is designed to be less than the material thickness, therefore they will not interlock in the free state. The CL200’s are rated for use up to ISO Class 8.8/Grade 5 bolts. If the application requires it, the CL200 can be heat treated (to order) for use up to ISO Class 12.9/Grade 8 bolts. When applications can be designed around the Series CL200 standard range, this series offers the lowest total installed cost.
View the specifications for the CL200.
• Series CL350 Split Seam: Similar to the Series CL200 Compression Limiter, the CL350’s were designed with a thicker wall for increased bearing surface when clamped against soft mating materials. Generous bolt clearance also aids in positional alignment when multiple Compression Limiters are used in an assembly. The CL350 is rated for use up to ISO Class 10.9 bolts.
View the specifications for the CL350.
• Series CL400 Oval Press-In: Produced from high carbon steel, the oval Series CL400 accommodates up to 2.25mm extra clearance on one axis, providing additional flexibility over round Compression Limiters for centerline and stack-up tolerancing. Similar to the CL200 and CL350, this split-seam oval Limiter is roll-formed, and it is spring tension that provides positive retention in the hole. The roll-forming manufacturing method yields substantial cost savings over machined products with similar features and characteristics. The CL400 is rated for use up to ISO Class 8.8 bolts.
View the specifications for the CL400.
• Series CL460 Oval Molded-In: The CL460 Series is similar to the oval Series CL400, but produced with a butted-seam so as to prevent plastic from entering the inner diameter during the molding process. This series also accommodates up to 2.25mm extra clearance on one axis. The CL460 is rated for use up to ISO Class 8.8 bolts.
View the specifications for the CL460.
• Series CL500 Molded-In: The Series CL500 is produced from low carbon steel with a butted seam to prevent plastic from entering the inner diameter of the Compression Limiter during the molding process. This also provides an anti-rotation feature once in the assembly. The radial grooves provide axial retention. The CL500 is rated for use up to ISO Class 8.8/Grade 5 bolts.
View the specifications for the CL500.
• Series CL600 Aluminum: The Series CL600 is machined from 2024 aluminum as this grade provides the best combination of strength, corrosion resistance, machineability and cost. Additional advantages of aluminum are that it is lightweight (1/3 the weight of brass), it is 40% stronger than brass, and it is lead free. These Limiters can be molded in or pressed into the assembly. The precision machined ID tolerance allows proper seating on the core pin when molding into the assembly. When pressed into the assembly, they are designed with a pilot that allows the part to stand freely in the hole prior to completing the installation. Once installed, the knurl provides excellent retention within the hole. The CL600 is rated for use up to ISO Class 10.9/Grade 8 bolts.
View the specifications for the CL600.
• Series CL601 Headed Aluminum: The CL601 headed aluminum Compression Limiter is the same as the CL600, with the addition of a head. The head provides extra bearing surface on the mating component when a flanged bolt or a washer is not used.
View the specifications for the CL601.
• Series CL800 Brass: The Series CL800 is machined from 360 brass. Similar to the CL600, the CL800 can be molded in or pressed into an assembly. The applications for SPIROL’s brass and aluminum Compression Limiters are very similar, however to accommodate the same class/grade bolt, the brass Limiters have a larger wall thickness due to the material’s lower yield strength. While this increases the size and weight of the Limiter as compared to the CL600, the thicker wall does provide more bearing surface for the mating component. The most common reason a designer may choose the CL800 is for those applications that require a shift away from aluminum on the galvanic series chart to make the Limiter more noble. The CL800 is rated for use up to ISO Class 10.9/Grade 8 bolts.
View the specifications for the CL800.
• Series CL801 Headed Brass: The CL801 headed brass Compression Limiters are the same as the CL800 with the addition of a head. Similar to the CL601, the head provides extra bearing surface on the mating component when a flanged bolt or a washer is not used.
View the specifications for the CL801.
Bolt Specifications for of Compression Limiters.
Torque Specifications for of Compression Limiters.
SPIROL standard split seam Compression Limiters can be installed with SPIROL Pin Inserters, pin driving chucks, or simply pressed in.
SPIROL standard solid Compression Limiters can be installed with conventional ultrasonic welders, SPIROL Heat Insert Drivers, or simply pressed in.