Painting Services Information
Industrial painting services apply paint to substrates for protection and/or decoration. They use several types of painting processes.
Types of Painting Services
- Coil coating, or roll coating, is a continuous, high speed, roll-to-roll process for coating metal that will be fabricated into parts or finished products.
- In dip coating, or immersion coating, parts are dipped or immersed into a bath or tank filled with paint.
- Dry lubricants are often painted onto the surfaces of machine parts, fittings, cams, springs, gears, cables, and elastomeric gaskets in order to reduce friction, corrosion, and wear. The most commonly used dry lubricants are molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) and polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE).These compounds are often mixed together or combined with adhesion promoters.
- Powder coating is a finishing technology in which dry paint particles are charged electrostatically and then applied to a grounded part. Electrostatic attraction holds the particles in place until heat is added and the powder is cured.
- Web coating applies a layer of paint to the surface of a continuous sheet of material.
Some industrial painting services specialize in the coating of new components or the recoating of damaged surfaces. Others perform general-purpose painting or specialize in architectural painting for the preservation or restoration of buildings and process plants.
Many industrial painting services perform secondary activities such as thermal cleaning, degreasing, spray washing, immersion washing, stripping or coating removal, and ultrasonic cleaning.
- Burn-off, or thermal cleaning, systems use heat to remove grease, oil, or other organic compounds from the surfaces of parts.
- Degreasing uses a solvent or vapor to clean and remove organic compounds and greases that are insoluble in water or aqueous systems.
- Spray washers use pressure washing or rinsing capabilities to direct a stream of water or a water/detergent mixture at high pressure to clean or remove surface debris such as scale, rust, dirt, grease, or abrasive dust.
- In immersion tank cleaning systems, or scrub tanks, parts are immersed in a tank where the cleaning bath is agitated with impellers or paddles, or the parts are scrubbed manually.
- Stripping and coating removes paint, coatings, or plated layers using a chemical or mechanical process.
- Industrial painting services that perform ultrasonic cleaning processes use immersion tanks in which the cleaning solution is vibrated at ultrasonic frequencies.
Industrial painting services are located across the United States and around the world. They vary in terms of material processing capabilities and certification or quality requirements. Some industrial painting services process parts made from aluminum, copper, nickel, iron, cast iron, steel, stainless steel, titanium, metal alloys, and precious metals. Others process ceramics, metallized ceramics, composites, carbides, glass, plastics, and polymers.
Certification and quality requirements include ISO 9001:2000, ISO TS16949, AS 9100, and QS 9000. AS 9100 is a set of quality guidelines and requirements published by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) in cooperation with major aerospace manufacturers. QS 9000 is a quality standard for suppliers of DaimlerChrysler Corporation, Ford Motor Company, and General Motors Corporation. Companies that meet U.S. military specifications (MIL-SPEC) and comply with OEM-specific requirements that also provide coating services.
Alexandros T / CC BY-SA 4.0