Nanoparticle and Powder Processing Services Information
Nanoparticle. Image Credit: Macromolecular Rapid Communications Alumina nano powder for diamond. Image Credit: Grade Standard
Nanoparticle and powder processing services that specialize in polymer manufacturing applications create powders with finer granularity, more consistent reproducibility, tighter particle-size distribution, and higher purity. Nanoparticle and powder processing services can provide polymer and chemical powders for use in applications ranging from food processing to paints, pigments, food and fuel.
What are Nanoparticle and Powder Processing Services?
Nanoparticle and powder processing services perform manufacturing services such as,
- Chemical processing and synthesis services are methods of somehow changing one or more chemicals or chemical compounds. The process can occur by itself or be caused by a service. It is used in manufacturing for industrial scale production.
- Formulation, blending, compounding servicestake a variety of components or ingredients and mix or combine them together to formulate a compounded end-product.
- Process development services provide research and development (R&D), optimization studies, or other assistance with process development activities.
- Process optimization reviews manufacturing processes to ensure safe and efficient operations.
- Inspection and analytical testing of processed materials, chemicals, or other products to ensure safe and reliable products.
- Warehousing and distribution, sourcing, and other logistics services are provided.
- Research and development for new processes, process technologies, lower cost processes, or alternate processing steps
- Training and consulting services for fluid processing systems is provided.
- Technology and licensing develop, license, or sell specialized process technologies
- Trial facility leasing provides contractual access to trial facility, so that customers can evaluate or prove processes or process equipment before making major capital expenditures. Facilities may be on-site or in-house. Contracts typically include rental fees, lease terms, transportation costs, cleaning, etc.
- Milling and size reduction includes processes such as milling, ball milling, crushing, shredding, granulating, pulverizing, or other services are offered in order to reduce coarse, bulk solids intofiner granules or powders.
- Blending and mixing is driven by ashaft, speed reducer, or electric motor.
- Coating Bulk materials such as powders, granules, or continuous webs are coated
- Compounding mixes or blends and/or reacts all of the ingredients required to produce a finished product. For example, a compounded plastic resin or elastomer compound typically consists ofbase polymer resin(s), chemical additives,andreinforcing or extending fillers. Compounding can be used for plastics, rubber, elastomers, cleaning agents, lubricants, greases, masterbatch colorants (pigments, dyes), additive masterbatches, organic chemicals, chemical additives, metal workingfluids, oils, oil and fuel additives, fuel mixtures,and other materials.
- Condensation and cooling changes a gas to a liquid or a solid, or a liquid to a solid. Chill roll systems, heat exchangers, chillersand direct convective coolingequipment are used cooling processes
- Crushing waste productsarecrushed, compacted, used for storage, contaminant extraction, or recycling.For example, used oil filters or containersare often crushed to extract any remaining waste oil.
- Crystallization cools a liquid solution or evaporates a solvent in order to form solid, solute crystals. As they leave the crystallizer,the slurry crystals are often forced through a circulation evaporator and may subsequently be separated from the liquid in a filter or centrifuge.
- Drying powder processinguses evaporation, sublimation, or freeze-drying processes to remove liquids or moisture from bulk solids, powders, parts, continuous sheets or other liquids
- Screening and gradingor other particle classification services for bulk or powdered materials are included.
- AtomizingPowders are produced through an atomization, spray drying, milling, precipitation, or other proprietary process
- Packaging and microencapsulation is used forchemicals, pharmaceuticals or bulk materials such as powders, granules, liquidsor continuous webs. Alternatively, packaging alsoprovidesencapsulation, microencapsulation, tableting,blister packagingor drug delivery systems forpowdered or liquid drugs, vitaminsor other substances.
Powder particle sizes range from fine or superfine to ultrafine, mesoscale, and nanoscale levels.
Depending on the final product, metal powders need to meet physical and chemical requirements for size, particle distribution, metal and admixture content, density, flow level, stability, compressibility, and corrosion resistance.
Nanoparticle and powder processing services may serve a specific industry or produce powders for a wide range of applications. Chemical powders are often used in abrasives, electronics, medical devices, aerospace applications, and energy products. Dry powder processing is suitable for particle size reduction and classification, particle coating for uniform component applications, and in multi-component dry blending systems.
Standards and Regulations
Nanoparticle and powder processing services that specialize in material processing for food-grade applications must meet regulatory requirements from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Certifications and standards for nanoparticle and powder processing services include ISO 9001:2000 from the International Standards Organization (ISO), as well as AS 9100 and QS 9000.