From Glossary of Metalworking Terms
Chapter Z: Z Zr
- (1) Symbol for compression factor; (2) symbol for a rectangular or cylindrical coordinate.
- Alloys containing 93% aluminum, 6.5% nickel, 0.5% titanium. A bearing metal.
- A proprietary trade name for a die-casting zinc alloy containing 95.96% zinc, 4% aluminum, and 0.04% magnesium.
- A proprietary trade name for a die- and sand-casting zinc alloy containing 95.96% zinc, 4% aluminum, 1% copper, and 0.04% magnesium.
- An alloy containing 83% zinc, 15% aluminum, and 2% copper, used as a solder for aluminum and its alloys.
- The complete absence of a particular quantity. By convention zero (or null) is considered a natural number.
- A term used to describe improvements in the manufacturing process or operation whose goal is to produce products with no defects.
- zeta (Z or ?)
- The sixth letter of the Greek alphabet.
- Zilloy -15
- A proprietary trade name for an alloy containing 98.99% zinc and 1% copper, and 0.010% magnesium, used for structural material.
- Zilloy -40
- A proprietary trade name for an alloy containing 99% zinc and 1% copper.
- An alloy containing cobalt and chromium.
- CAS number: 7440-66-6. Used as an alloying element in brass, etc. It is brittle at ordinary temperatures. Between 212-300 F/100-149 C it is ductile and malleable, and becomes brittle again at about 410 F/210 C. Cast zinc's tensile strength is about 5,000-6,000 1b/in 2. Used for as an alloying element in brass, bronze, and die-casting alloys, galvanizing and hot-dipping iron and other metals, electroplating, metal spraying, automotive...
Products & Services
Topics of Interest
Air Products and Chemicals Inc. 7201 Hamilton Blvd., Allentown PA 18195. Telephone: 215/481-4911; 800/345-3148. FAX: 215/481-5900. Alox Corporation. 3943 Buffalo Ave. Niagara Falls, NY 14302.
Alloys of zinc and magnesium sport a wide range of physical and mechanical properties. The result is enormous flexibility in selecting die-casting materials for small, complex components. Designers...
ZAMAK ZORES SECTION ZAMAK Zamak Metallurgy An alloy of zinc containing aluminum, copper, and magnesium. Z-BAR Z de Metallurgy A standard section whose straight section resembles the letter Z. The...
Zinc, a crystalline metal with moderate strength and ductility, is seldom used alone except as a coating. In addition to its metal and alloy forms, zinc also extends the life of other materials such...
1.1 The Role of Alloying Elements and Dopants: Basic Alloy Systems Today more than several dozens of aluminum alloys are used in different areas of manufacturing and technology (e.g., automotive,...