Foot Switches Information
Foot switches are switches that are foot actuated by a pedal or air bulb (bellows). Foot switches are available in many configurations including:
- Snap action switch
- Slow action switch
- Variable speed control
- Explosion proof
Switch specifications to consider when searching for foot switches include:
Pedals - Foot switches can have one, two, or three pedals.
Switch or Actuation Method - Choices for switch or actuation method include:
- Snap action - In a snap action switch the action speed of the switch contact is independent of the actuator speed.
- Slow action - In a slow action switch the contact points move at a speed proportional to the activating motion and are typically used for lower voltage applications.
- Air switch - An air switch uses a foot actuated air bulb for actuation to a remote switch.
- Potentiometer - Some switches contain an integral potentiometer.
Function - Choices for switch function include:
- Maintained contact
- Momentary contact
- Single stage
- Two stage
- Three stage
- Mechanical interlock
Electrical Switch Specifications
Electrical switch specifications to consider when searching for foot switches include:
- Pole and Throw - Pole and throw specification choices include:
- Single pole, single throw (SPST)
- Single pole, double throw (SPDT)
- Double pole, single throw (DPST)
- Double pole, double throw (DPDT)
- Configuration - Switch configuration can be normally open or normally closed.
- Contact Style - The contact style can be single break, double break, shorting, or non-shorting.
- Maximum Current - The maximum current is the maximum nominal, or nameplate current capacity of a device.
- Maximum AC & DC Voltage - The maximum AC and DC voltage capabilities are also important to consider.
Important physical specifications to consider when searching for foot switches include:
Construction Material - The switch base material can be thermoplastic or plastic, PVC, or metal. Choices for actuator or pedal material include thermoplastic or plastic, PVC or metal.
Terminal Type - The terminal type on foot switches can be wire leads or cords without plugs, wire leads or cords with plugs, solder terminals, screw terminals, and quick connects or blades.
Protection Features - Common protection features found on foot switches include no guard, full guard, anti-trip mechanism, dustproof, explosion proof, and weather resistant or waterproof.
Certifications - Certifications granted include CE certification, CSA certification, and UL listing or registration.
The operating temperature is an important environmental parameter to consider.
FORD ES15 - Foot switches